• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When was USB 2.0 introduced?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought it was earlier than that, some time like 2002 and then it didn't really catch on until 2004.

There was lots of talk about it, but vapor in regards to product, kind of like most of Bluetooths early life.

I worked at radioshack from 2001 to 2004 and thats all i heard was USB 2.0 is coming soon! Heard that for... 2 years with nothing around to play with.

You could be right, im not a self-proclaimed computer pundit like Dvorak, but thats where i'm pretty sure USB 2.0 was out there.

~ Gos

If you want to find out if a specific laptop includes USB 2.0 you can look up the chipset (southbridge) or model number.
USB 2.0 started appearing more prevalently on motherboards in 2001 as the KT333 and other chipsets were paired with southbridges that included it. Previous southbridge chips made by NEC hade poor performance so not very many boards used it. Intel wasn't in the game until 2002. Real universal support for USB 2.0 didn't start showing up until early 2003.

The timeline on this page has a few holes: http://www.usbman.com/news/usb_news_articles_2.htm

Back