• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly fried Mobo/CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bbp

Registered
Hello OC, forums, I've been readin for a while but this is my first thread. So I've been on a cooling frenzy lately, trying to drop my system down from 46C at idle and 54C at load. I picked up a round IDE cable for my harddrives and a round data cable for my floppy. I have two harddrives and two cd-roms. I originally had the two harddrives hooked up on the primary IDE channel and the two cd-roms on the secondary IDE channel. So i install both new round IDE cables and in an effort to reroute the IDE cables i switched the cd-roms IDE cable to the primary channel and the harddrives to the secondary channel.

So I finish installing and turn on my computer. Fans and everything turn on but no POST or nothing. I figure maybe the bios is confused since i switched the IDE channels. I clear the CMOS and boot back up. This time i get the logo post and I go into the bios to change back my settings. While im messing around in the bios it freezes. I grumble and restart, this time it freezes at the logo post. I reset the power and it wont even boot. Fans and everything are on but no display. So I unplug all the IDE cables and floppy, unplug all hardware except monitor and keyboard. Turn power back on but still wont boot up. I clear the CMOS one more time, try to turn on computer again but still nothing. Fans and everything power up but no display.

All I can think about is that maybe i plugged in the cable connectors backwards? The new cables didn't have the missing pin like most so i had to use my best judgement to get them oriented.
I know this is probably a huge newbie question but could i damage anything by plugging in the harddrive or floppy connectors reversed? I doesn't seem like it would damage anything since its only sending data and the power supply is a completely different connection, but I've run out of ideas.

Last edited:
Don't really know what the issue was. I just unplugged everything from the motherboard, reset the CMOS again, reseated the ram, plugged it all back in with the original cables and it was fine :shrug:. After that, I tried the round cables again and it worked fine. Computer's running good and even a little OC'd. :thup:

I knew in the back of my mind that I couldn't have damaged anything but I am definitely new to f*cking with computer hardware so when it wouldn't post even after I reset the CMOS a couple of times, I panicked and posted this thread before ruling out all options. Feel like a bit of a noob :p

Bbp said:
but I am definitely new to f*cking with computer hardware so when it wouldn't post even after I reset the CMOS a couple of times, I panicked and posted this thread before ruling out all options. Feel like a bit of a noob :p

We all have been there :)

And i just found out that u'r using an A7N8X Deluxe 1.0x, from another thread.
from personal experience, ive noticed that there are these random boot issues with these <2.0 boards.

Back