• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8GHZ P4 HT 800fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edo

Hey,
Not new here, was a previous member awhile ago :p But thought a fresh account would be good to start for a fresh computer. Bought a 2nd hand PC for $400 AUS. Specs below. Good pickup really. What can i expect from this P4 chip? I've heard it was one of the better modules. Thanks.

What make and model of motherboard are you sporting and what specs are the Kingston DRAM Modules?

R

AUD australian? well if it is, its not more expensive. Thats a pretty good buy, i thought it was the presscott u got there, but what is the revision on that puppy? if its E0 or d0 you got quite a bit to push out of the chip. you're lookin at somethin like 3.5

Well i'm back after awhile..
Ram is 333mhz ..
And it was $400 australian yes. Good buy.
Motherboard is an : 8I848P , GA

The revision on the CPU is : D1

Catch youz.

edo said:
And it was $400 australian yes. Good buy

You can say that again!!! :)

You can probably do quite a bit with that chip. I've got a similar 2.8C Northwood running at 3.78GHz on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
Your RAM might hold you back some & you would most likely have to use a divider to get the most from the chip. But for $400 AUD, you can't complain!
Great Deal!!
-Dave

I've got the P4 chip running steady at 3.08ghz. Haven't really tried pushing it yet. At the moment i don't have a multiplier editer in the bios, hopefully this bios update will fix that. Voltage is at 1.5v.

You won't be able to do anything with the CPU multiplier. All Northwood P4 chips, except for engineering samples, have locked multipliers.
Checking the Gigabyte Manual's Frequency/Voltage Control Page in BIOS Setup, to get the most from that chip, you'll probably have to dial your RAM Frequency back to 1.6 or maybe even 1.33. Then you can slowly raise your FSB & see what she'll do.
Have fun & Good luck!!
-Dave

Last edited:
Your motherboard utilizes the Intel 848P chipset and both revisions (1 and 2) of this board support an agp/pci lock so you should be able to perform a fair overclock. I would set your ram to the 4:5 ratio to remove it from the overclock equation and slowly move the fsb up while testing for stability with Prime95.

Your Manual

You quite likely will make 3.2GHz or so with that processor although one can not be certain.

R

I'm back agaiin after a motherboard frying lol .. now i'm with asus .. blew all 3 ram slots on the last one but i wasn't to worried as the ram wasnt hurt :) .. anyway with the new board i'm reading up on other people experiences and i hope i can have some fun. Peace .. i'll keep you updated.

Fried MB... bummer, -that was kinda fast- Well, i realy liked the speed and SATA features on the 875p series... i had a 3.0 Northwood d0 stepping i belive, never failed me, but i only got it to 3.4 with my XP-90 and tornado (that was a max and not realy stable)

/start rant
Im not sure why i sold my 3.0 Northwood with HT, ran ice cold and encoded audio better... my 3.2 HT pressy im not overly pleased with as its hot and draws way too much power, etc -rips out hiar for effect-
/end rant

Yeah bummer about the board .. but i'm not to worried .. wasnt overally pleased with the other one anyway. With this Asus board (p4p800s-x) seems to handle overclocking alot better and the temp of the board stays low which i'm pleased about.
I'm stable at 3.266 ghz. 32C board temp 45C CPu temp with load. Idle its about 4C off both.

You are ok at that speed , and the temps is no high .

Try the 3.3G that is the best bet for this CPU , if its stable lock it there and forget it :)

Yeah the temps arn't to high, which makes me happy. The fan on the case directly above the cpu helps. I'll give the 3.3ghz mark later on and see if i can stablize it, i was having some trouble before, it could be the stock fan i'm using lol. Heat today after a large load (3 hours of Doom3) << nearly finished. : 48C

That's good news for me - as I happen to have exact the same chip like yours , plus even have the same ram (kingston but at 400 fsb), AND mobo P4c800-deluxe.

If I can get it oc'd up to 3.3-3.5 GHz, that's good enough for me! :D

Back