• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowhole question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dabbler

Registered
After putting together a rig for my sis using an Aspire x-Infinity case, I decided I MUST put a blowhole in mine. It looks great and I think it would help my cooling.

Preferrably, I would like to put in a 120mm LED fan. I have room for the fan, and I am lucky - the top of my case is removable so I don't have to take everything out.

I already have a 4" hole saw that I could use, and I'm not really very good with a jigsaw. However, 4" = 102mm, which would make a hole bigger than a 92mm fan and smaller than a 120mm fan.

Would this hole be too small to use for a 120mm fan? Is there an easy way to make this hole bigger?

Thanks!

I would say it is going to be to small. It is going to restrict your airflow. Try to find a 4 1/2" hole saw. That would be 114mm and you would get better airflow.

ir would restrict air flow a little but but its fine, with a blow hole that big , as well as a rear exaust and the psu you'd be just finebut if you decide to use a jig saw don t cut a circle but rather an octagon that wont restrict air flow but will still let you mount the fan. that would be easier

You really want to use a 4.5" hole saw. Cutting a perfect hole with a Dremel is a nightmare, and a Jigsaw is better but still very easy to slip up with.

Unless you intend to paint your case afterwards, you dont want any scratching or slip-ups. A Hole Saw and a drillpress is by far the easiest and safest way to cut your blowhole.

To prevent scratching, tape off the entire top-panel with masking tape before cutting. Measure your hole, and pencil in the lines before you start. It's also a good idea to pencil in the mounting holes - use a 120mm fan for measuring and orientation, so that your blowhole will be nice and straight when you're done.

i would say if you used the smaller hole saw for a 120mm fan it'll

#1 look bad because the top grill will still show that the hole is smaller than the fan itself

and

#2 it'll make more noise because of the metal that'll be in the way restricting airflow.

Back