• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should we change the 3DMark Team section?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What should we change the section to?

• Change the section's name to Benchmarking altogether.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Make a Benchmarking section, and move the 3DMark team section within it.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Don't change anything.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Many people have expressed that they'd like the team and section name changed. Personally, I would have to agree. We have evolved beyond being dominated by Futuremark's franchise. The tweaking that we do for all sorts of benchmarks is of very similar nature across all of them. I don't believe any of our benchmark result threads should be placed in the CPU section. They make the most sense being placed in this section, the part that doesn't make sense is the section's name.

I already expressed that i wanted to see this done awhile back and got some good support. I in no way want to see the 3DMark team removed in any way at all, but as mentioned, we've evolved into more than just a 3D Team. We have some of the best overclockers around, and what better way to prove it than putting up huge numbers! I think that by having the section renamed we will draw more members in, and give them some great information/marks to look at. Furthermore, with a new section members will have a place to compare their systems at without having to search through 5 different forums. As one of our OC3D Captains i would of course be willing to make, and keep track of threads and Stickys.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Id like the entire section just "Benchmarking", makes everything a little more general.
Yes. I agree, this would be a great start. In addition make a tab for each benchmarking program.

Benchmarking altogether...... who knows what else we'll be using? The list of apps seems to be growing and growing.

Just to reiterate, I sort of like the idea of subsections, tabs, whatever, but I don't believe we're ready for that now. Not enough traffic. Perhaps in the future we can try dividing this section up, but ATM, I'd prefer just one section with everything lumped into it.

Agreed. At some point i would love to see tabs, but right now i just want to get a steady flow of people in here. I think the best way to do that is rename, add some stickys and get some numbers rolling :)

I think this should stay 3D. I dont mind benching stuff here and there, but If someones interested in something. It should not be lost in the clutter of grouping CPU tests, Memory tests, systems tests, video tests, Hard drive tests, and whatever Other benchies we could run. If those were kept tab of within a sticky we could have a page of stickies and nowhere to post. Also if people want help in individual things, they would also be lost in in a mess of discussions about things that should be covered elsewhere. I dont know how this section spun out of video and sound, but thats where 3d belongs, because its video card related. Many of the other benchies should go where they are most relevant. so people can be guided and discuss there results where most applicable. And find help they need in the most specific area. IMHO things like Pi belong with CPU's as thast the most influential part in that bench. Memory benchies belong in the memory section. and so on with other benchmarks. Keep them with what they are most relevant to.
In short more poeple here would be good. as The team can grow and get better. But more people doing more different things leads to many doing things realy half-assed. which is not what anyone is looking for.

d]g[ts said:
I think this should stay 3D....

You have a very valid point. With that being said i think the whole problem lies with the idea that we can have these benches put into a specific section and still be able to find/update/monitor them. As it stands right now, if you search the forums you'll find tons of threads in regards to benchmarks, however you need to do that, search. The whole reason we purpose this is to avoid that very hassle. To give the Members a place to go compare and post their benchmarks. I've seen this done very successfully on other forums, and i beleive it can be even better here. As you know, there is more than just one varible to a benchmark, case in point 3DMark 2001. That's no more a system benchmark than it is a CPU/Memory benchmark other than it's name. Super PI, it's just as memory dependent as it is CPU. Sandra Bandwidth, i can run it at 2.7GHz 300HTT and score ~7800mbs and then run it again at 3.3GHz 300HTT and score ~8700mbs, would that be memory, or CPU related? Of course as you know i'm not trying to argue, just mearly think that having a benchmark forum to itself will provide the easiest and fastest way to keep track of benchmarks. I don't think that having a "Benchmark" section will in any way detract from the 3DMark teams, i only think it can strenghten them in the long run. Hopefully we can discuss it more and come to a conclusion that everyone will be happy with.

Ben

Sucka said:
case in point 3DMark 2001. That's no more a system benchmark than it is a CPU/Memory benchmark other than it's name.
when it began, like all the other 3D benchies. it was video dependant. honestly , and even tho it's my favorite. its obsolete for video. But remains as a legacy.

Sucka said:
Super PI, it's just as memory dependent as it is CPU
Try that same memory on a different CPU and see the huge difference. an AXP will not score like a dothan if memory is at same perameters.

Sucka said:
Sandra Bandwidth, i can run it at 2.7GHz 300HTT and score ~7800mbs and then run it again at 3.3GHz 300HTT and score ~8700mbs, would that be memory, or CPU related?
memory section, as the A64 platform was the first to show the CPU's influence with such low latency.

Sucka said:
Of course as you know i'm not trying to argue, just mearly think that having a benchmark forum to itself will provide the easiest and fastest way to keep track of benchmarks.
Then should we not be asking for a benchmarking section? One to carry the more general Items. Sorry but this is 3D and should stay 3D. Honestly if ya want a section for all these benchies then a separate one should start. Our present 4 monitored 3D benchies have carried enough to warrant this section. Information on tweaking here does not pertain to benching other things. What one does for PI does not always work for 3D. SO changing this section may not be best for here. Keeping another section for more generalised benching would be a better option. If this ends up subsectioned it detracts it from being viewed even more. As it was until Pi thread came this was strictly 3D. And thats how I feel it should stay. May not have been very popular, but had 1 thing to discuss, and that was 3D.

To be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing both. The thing of it is, why not combine them in some capacity? They are all "Benchmarks" the only thing that's changing is the content found within the forum, and the name of the section itself, nothing more. I think everyone would realize that they could find 3D Benchmarks within a benchmarking forum. Having a new name doesn't change the fact that you can talk about "3D" within. I tottaly understand your point, what i can't figure out is why you would not want to see a whole array of benchmarks? There's no doubt 3D marks are among the favs, but synthetic marks are plenty fun as well and deserve an area of their own. No matter what is decided i'm still going to support all OCF teams :) I just like to put up the biggest numbers i can in every benchmark and share them with the rest of the community. I think it's nice to show new members that we're capable of playing with the big dawgs at some other well known forums :p

Sucka said:
To be honest, i wouldn't mind seeing both.
Nor I if separate.

Sucka said:
what i can't figure out is why you would not want to see a whole array of benchmarks?
Dont think i would mind if it were not mixed in with 3D.

Sucka said:
There's no doubt 3D marks are among the favs, but synthetic marks are plenty fun as well and deserve an area of their own
I think you could be seeing my point of leaving this as is ;)

Sucka said:
No matter what is decided i'm still going to support all OCF teams
same here. besides looks like i'm loosing pretty badly anyway :bang head

I have to agree with d]g[ts here, there are alot of other area's to post up other benchmarks. It's fine to post em up in here so we can all get in the game, and see where your system is performance wise (Hopefully leading up to some 3D runs:D), but I don't think we need to change the name as 3DMark is and has always been our focus.

Just to add, I'll go with the flow, but I think the first Poll option is not the best. I'd prefer that we have a '3DMark Team' subsection if anything happens.

i like the idea of (and voted) a benchmarking section with sub categories for:

-CPU based benches
-MEM based benches
-overall benches
and OF COURSE...
-3D / GPU benches

then subcategories within based on the program/bench (like we have now 01/03/05 Aqua etc)

but no matter what y'all decide to do, im an OCF team member for life ;)

Yeah, 3D Teams would remain the same, all i would like to see is sections added. I've already said my piece on it :p

I like the idea of a Benchmarking forum only, but look at the current Forum layout.

OCF3.jpg

It wouldn't make much sense to put a Benchmarking forum under the Teams heading. A good place for that kind of Forum area would be here maybe, and keep the 3D Team with the other teams.

OCF2.jpg

A Forum area like that would make for a more happenin place to show off your scores :D

I've thought about that myself. I myself like the idea that has already been brought up, making tabs within the benchmarking section. I do understand what you're saying about leaving it under teams, but i think the 2 belong together in some capacity. Gotta agree people want to show off their scores, i just took #7 for PCMark04 A64 and don't have anywhere to share it at :-/ Speaking of which, i would like to see an official thread on that mark, give the Intels a chance to win for once :) jk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back