• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI on Knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Dud

Is it possible to run SETI on a live version of Knoppix? I have an old IBM with a P2 Clocked at about 355 MHZ that I want to only run SETI (it is to slow to do much of anything else). I don't have a spare hard drive, so could I run it off a 1.44 MB floppy (yes I know, it is really old and slow :bang head)? I know there was a thread on this before but I couldn't find it and the other one I found wasn't enough. If anyone could please help me thank you.

It does help, but it says about K12LTSP and as far as I found it was an install OS not a boot. Could it be possible to run Knoppix on the CD then just take a floppy download the SETI client installation and install it on the floppy, or better yet a flash drive. Then just boot up into Knoppix and just run SETI off the flash/floppy drive?

You could try Overclockix , but its more geared toward Folders. But theres always a work around, i.e. remastering the CD. Try the Knoppix forums as well.

Overclockix has had a seti client onboard since day one. It just runs folding by default. there're included scripts to easily kill folding and start seti. It crunches the stuff in a ramdisk. But with a little manipulation it could do it on a share drive, pendrive, or floppy (if the data will fit).

Yep you should be able to keep a persistent home directory on a usb drive - along with your seti account settings. Haven't done it myself, but it's bound to be possible with a little digging.

Only thing is that Overclockix is currently configured to use SETI@Home CLC.....there should be an unpgrade made by someone with some skills so that it can use the new BOINC/SETI setup currently live ;)

V 3.8 has been so upgraded. However, it currently is beta and has other issues. Worth a try though.

Back