• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost - Point me in the right direction.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I have an idea for a site that would basically go like this:

1. Users can create a page and a link will be dynamically added to the homepage.
2. On the page they can add some content into predefined fields, like a pic, some bullet points, etc.
3. Users can then vote on the content, either 'yes' or 'no'. The results of the poll are dynamically added to the page in some sort of visual way. A way to prevent mass voting would also be nice.

Beyond that I would need to sort by date, category, etc, but I can figure that out later. For now I just need to know where to start for looking to learn how to program something like this. PHP MySQL is more my thing than ASP, but I'm admittely quite amateur at this type of thing.

Thanks!

--Illah

Sounds something like Hot or Not.

I pointed someone to this tutorial in a previous thread. It covers the basics in PHP and MySQL but also has good information.

My thoughts are that if you can limit the information that is needed, you could put it all in a database. You can even put pictures in a database as binary data. Then you could pull the information from the database, alter it or whatever, and then save it back into the database. What do you mean by "preventing mass voting?"

Like I would like a way to prevent a single person(s) from voting + or - hundreds of times and screwing up the results. And yeah, hot or not is similar to what I had in mind, though I wanted more of a link type of page rather than vote and see the next person.

--Illah

The only way I know of preventing voting fraud is to take note of the IP address that the person voted from and not let votes from that IP count again. Or have them login and vote and keep track of it that way.

Back