• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Water Cooled Project: Tower 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

UPDATES 1-28-06

First off, there are no pictures on the first page, and most of the second page. I changed my domain and hosting and have not had time to fix it. You can however see a quick "once" through of the mod as it stands below.

Tower 1 Project Home Page

Also the home page for the full write up (with pictures) is located at:

Tower 1 Project Home Page

I will continue to post pictures at the end of this thread, and will also come back and fix the other pictures.

Last edited:
Okay, got my metal in today and did some cutting. I will be doing some more diamond plate (it is aluminum so it is pretty light). I will also have my mirror cut tomorrow. The light duty mesh steel will be for the side panels.

misc2.JPG

Here you can see that the back part of the case is being fitted with the pieces of diamond plate that I cut to fit. And yes, the blue protective plastic is still on the top piece, I need to still mount the power supply.

case6.JPG

case7.JPG

Should be posting a whole bunch this weekend. The only thing I am waiting on is what color to paint it, any ideas (I am only painting the inside)? I will have a mirror placed on the bottom and will be using blue lights.

ENJOY

Last edited:
it think the case is nice but a window on the side would be great. i think im going to pick one up to play around with. i would like to see of a 1/4 lexan will support 2 500watt ultras.

Dfi-Boy said:
it think the case is nice but a window on the side would be great. i think im going to pick one up to play around with. i would like to see of a 1/4 lexan will support 2 500watt ultras.

True, but I think I have a better idea... Should be done by the end of the weekend (with the sides).

It is a really nice case.

Dfi-Boy said:

Not pictured (except if you look at newegg) is a power supply support bracket. You could easily move it back and make a small second 'shelf' to support the top power supply. The ps bracket is strange in that the ps unit sits on its side.

with that much room in the case i would suggest maybe adding another pump, sinse you'll have the room of course.

it'll help with flow and should provide alittle better temps.

again i am only suggesting this because you have the room and another benefit will be alittle lower temps.

honhon said:
with that much room in the case i would suggest maybe adding another pump, sinse you'll have the room of course.

it'll help with flow and should provide alittle better temps.

again i am only suggesting this because you have the room and another benefit will be alittle lower temps.

Yeah, I have run dual pumps in the past. It is also nice so if one fails while you are gone. But.. for this project, when you see where the components are located(rad, blocks, pump) I am not sure how much a second pump will help since all of the components are going to be on a pretty even plane. I may however (since as you mention the size of the case) add a second pump if I decide to go with a motherboard chipset block.

Last edited:
Here we go with some more updates. Time to see my mad dremel and skill saw talents :rolleyes:

Here is my "Weapon 302" radiator. I used a piece of cardboard to make a template to cut out the front of the case.

case14.JPG

Well I already spent time cutting out the fan holes. But when I measured my radiator inside of the case, it would not fit where I originally had planed. They always say measure before you cut.. Oh well. It will work here just as well in the front. Here you can see that I have transferred my template onto the case

case11.JPG

Here we go, one chance to get it right..

case12.JPG

Last edited:
Not too bad for a free hand with a skill saw. Hopefully the top fan exhaust fan holes will go this well.

case13.JPG

Here is the cutout for the power supply. Not bad either.

case15.JPG

Here is everything mounted up. Pretty close to what it is going to look like. This will look better once I paint the inside and add all of the steel mesh.

case8.JPG

case9.JPG

magick_man said:
looking very good, keep up the good work.

~Magick_Man~

Thanks.
Will be on vacation all week. Should have most of the parts by next Monday. I should be able to finish it pretty fast after that.

Last edited:
blackhawk397 said:
This is niiiiice! I was thinking that it would be awesome if you put LED lights on the inside to cast a nice glow out of the tower.

Thanks, that is exactly what I think I should do also. I wonder if I should use some LEDs or a small 6" cathode or something.

FINALLY, UPUDATES!

School and life has finally slowed enough for me to get my computer done. That is great since I have got almost all of my hardware in and all parts have been purchased. Should be able to button this case up in the next few weeks.

On with the mod..

Now we turn to the top to make some room for better air flow, two 120mm fans. You can also see the small whole between the fan cutouts, that is where the fill port will be placed. Also shown is the piece of diamond plate that will be cut into a mount for my pump.

case16.JPG

Here is the fan cut outs almost complete. Just a little more with the file and they will look good, not bad for a free hand cut with the old Dremel.

case17.JPG

Here is the side panel being cut out. I was aiming for the largest viewing area when cutting out the side panel. I don't think the panel turned out too bad for another free hand cut and drawing. Also, you can see the plate that is now mounted and will serve as my water pump mounting bracket. Shown here is some more diamond plate towards the bottom on the back of the case.

case18.JPG

case19.JPG

Here we have some more of the hardware. Pictured is the DFI nf4 Ultra-D, an AMD 64 3200+, and a Western Digital SATA 80 gig hard drive.

hardware1.JPG

Last edited:
damn, i envy you at this point ...you got a nice setup and all of that...

crank it up more and show is the finish touch ....

FINALLY, able to do some updates. School starts in a week or so, this will be finished by the weekend one way or another.

case20.JPG

Here is the case being prepped to be painted inside. This usually never works good for me, but this time I think it turned out all right as you will see below. Pictured here you can see that most of it has been rough sanded. Also, part of the case that has been semi polished will be masked off to contrast with the black paint inside.

case21.JPG

Here is the case with the first few coats of paint. Once the clear coat is put on and sanded with 2000 grit sand paper, it really evens out the paint.

Back