• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why did nvidia use 110nm and not 90nm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

I keep wondering whats up. 110nm is old tech and has NO low k. Ati has a big advantage with their new 90nm low K they can get more chips per wafer, higher yields and higher clocks due to smaller process with low K!

had problems with the process, couldnt get enough money to redesign their fabricating process, they thought it would be cheaper
its all speculations, do you even know that they havent?
wait for nvidia to release the specs 1st...

They perfected their 110nm process on the NV43, and didn't want to risk jumping to the 90nm process which they have no experience in.
This decision, while more conservative than some might like may mean the difference between vaporware (ala ATI R520) and a card on the shelves! :p

this wsa talked about on xtremesystem forums, basically nvidia are waiting for the r520 to come out with its 90nm and 32pipelines, then if they can get their 7800ultra based on 110nm fab to nerely get to the r520s speed, then they will bring out the 90nm fab to have a slight edge over ati.. i could be wrong, but check out their forums, there was a big discussion on it, i forget the link though..

Careface*

Back