• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

performance troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

Ok, I'm at my bro-in-laws house and he has a 9800pro that is performing very badly. His system is definitely a bottleneck, but it shouldn't be as bad as his performance is. He has pc2100 memory and is at stock 133fsb with a 2400+.

Now, we were playing cs:source last night and when the settings are at 1024x768 with high texture quality and model detail (no aa or af), the framerate dips into the teens sometimes. Now, even with his system, he should not be getting this low of performance. Also, like in the garage in office and other shiny surfaces, he's not getting the gleam off of them like he should. You have to stick your face right up against a shiny surface to start to see the shine from it.

He just reformated before I got here and he said it was performing better before. I've tried 2 or 3 different drivers and I can't figure out what's going on. Any help?

p.s. Halo is the same way, although UT2k4 performs pretty good.

Have you physically inspected the card?

Dirty?

Fan/HS plugged up?

Use an eraser on contacts?

Used driver uninstall & try the newest catalysts.

I have same setup (but w/9600xt & different clock)

Try a lower resolution?

WarriorII said:
Have you physically inspected the card?

Dirty?

Fan/HS plugged up?

Use an eraser on contacts?

Used driver uninstall & try the newest catalysts.

I have same setup (but w/9600xt & different clock)

Try a lower resolution?

I haven't inspected the card (the comp is tucked away in a desk against a wall, kinda hard to get to) though I highly doubt it's something to do with the card itself, I'll use that as a last resort because it is a pain to get to.. I tried uninstalling the card through windows and then tried a few different of the latest drivers, all with the same result.

Something really strange, I went into the ati control panel and instead of letting aa and af be set at application preferred, I turned them both to 2x (and even turned on temporal aa just for kicks) and the game actually performs better, seriously. Although, the spectral glare and stuff still isn't showing up, it runs a lot smoother. It never dropped below 30 on de_dust2 and hit only 25fps on office whereas it would hit 25 in office at 800x600 before. Strange things are going on here hmmmmm...

WarriorII said:
Wonder how much dust is stuck in there?

thats what I'm thinking.

heating up, but not overheating.

yet.

He keeps it pretty clean. Every few months he dusts it out so that shouldn't be a problem. It's actually working alright now, but you have to have atleast 2x aa and af selected in the ati control panel. Oh well, if it works, it works.

Back