• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FalconBlade

I had heard from several sources that having/using hdd's on SATA channels, can hamper certain factors when overclocking. I have 2 WD Cav 80's on SATA RAID and am beginning to think this could be my reason for not being able to hit stable FSB settings @205+. If this is a possibility, is there anything that can be done about it (besides running a HW raid card or swithing to IDE)?

-Fb

I don't think using SATA drives affects your overclocking at all. Many of the highest overclocks that I have seen on the forums are from people using SATA, not to mention that the majority of people in general have SATA as well.

EDIT: Might be good to move this to Storage, as they would be more likely to know something about this.

Hi,

I agreed that this is more appropriate for the "Storage Forum". However since you're here I shall continue with my feedbacks as follows:

a) It depends on your motherboard. You should enable both AGP/PCI bus locks to 66MHz/33MHz respectively in your BIOS, and you should be O.K. then. If it isn't supported in your MD then your SATA could be sensitive to extreme OCs.
b) your mixed PC3200 & PC3700 RAMs could hinder to max. OC too. Consider upgrading your PC3200 RAM to PC3500 or same higher freq spec. as your 2x256M RAMs since your CPU can be OCed to 2.6GHz. Then up your FSB while reducing CPU's multiplier appropriately to reach your 2.6GHz. This would increase both existing FSB and memory bandwidths considerably! :cool:

although remember that getting very high fsbs can actually break the AGP/PCI lock.. ive had it happen to my on my pro2 when i pushed 250fsb out of it, my RAID 0 ended up dieing

Careface*

Agreed! You had probably exceeded your Northbride chipset's working freq. limit in doing that, did you try to up your chipset voltage a notch? Any way 250MHz for FSB is a bit too high too, don't you think? :rolleyes:

OCdragon said:
Agreed! You had probably exceeded your Northbride chipset's working freq. limit in doing that, did you try to up your chipset voltage a notch? Any way 250MHz for FSB is a bit too high too, don't you think? :rolleyes:

well yeah, for me it was.. i wanted to see what the max fsb would get to on the pro2, so i dropped the multi down and ran a divider on the ram.. but anyway, enough of me thread jacking, sorry.

Careface*

I agree with OCdragon, it depends on your motherboard. For example, I have heard that with the MSI boards, like mine, there have been problems achieving higher clock speeds when using SATA raid. Ive never seen proof of this though.

OCdragon said:
Hi,

I agreed that this is more appropriate for the "Storage Forum". However since you're here I shall continue with my feedbacks as follows:

a) It depends on your motherboard. You should enable both AGP/PCI bus locks to 66MHz/33MHz respectively in your BIOS, and you should be O.K. then. If it isn't supported in your MD then your SATA could be sensitive to extreme OCs.
b) your mixed PC3200 & PC3700 RAMs could hinder to max. OC too. Consider upgrading your PC3200 RAM to PC3500 or same higher freq spec. as your 2x256M RAMs since your CPU can be OCed to 2.6GHz. Then up your FSB while reducing CPU's multiplier appropriately to reach your 2.6GHz. This would increase both existing FSB and memory bandwidths considerably! :cool:

I know that my RAM config isnt the best, but I got this stick of PNY at a really good deal...it's only temporary as I plan to replace it with another stick of OCZ Gold 512mb PC3500/3700. Even when I was only using the PC3700 OCZ stuff I couldnt get the FSB very high...I even tried setting the northbridge voltage from 1.6 to 1.8 and that didnt seem to help matters except for more heat.

-Fb

Back