• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 6600GT AGP: Does the Zalman VF700 Fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenithon

First post, woohoo!! :welcome:

I have a query regarding the Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT AGP card (N66T128D): I have recently changed cases, fans and CPU cooler in order to reduce the overall system temps, but the graphics card still has the stock cooler. The card gets rather hot and I would like an aftermarket cooler sans DIY :)

The only one available locally (South Africa) is the Zalman VF700 which, from what I have read, works on some cards but not on others. I just wanted to check if anyone has a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP and has used the VF700 successfully without any required modifications. I belived the HSI heatsink is separate from the fan but I am still uncertain about compatibility, so just looking for some confirmation. BTW I cannot import anything from overseas so that is NOT an option unfortunately.

An one more question - I see numerous debates stating that the VF700-AlCu is actually better than the VF700-Cu. Any merit to that? I can afford both so that is not te concern, temperature is.

Cheers,
X

Hi There,

Thanks but I've been there many times - doesn't help. I know that the VF700 works on SOME cards, not on others, even some with seperate HSI heatsinks. That's why I wanted to check if anyone has used it specifically on the Gigabyte card

Cheers,
X

It will fit, but the ramsinks won't work. Also, it will hang off the card for around 30mm..

if you want a quality cooler for your 6600GT AGP, an IceStorm cooler from STASISThermal (consumer9000 from the forums works there) is the best (and only) out. It is a little expensive, but I'd say its worth it.

btw:

Welcome to the Overclockers Forums!

SolidxSnake said:
if you want a quality cooler for your 6600GT AGP, an IceStorm cooler from STASISThermal (consumer9000 from the forums works there) is the best (and only) out. It is a little expensive, but I'd say its worth it.

I have seen the STASIS mentioned a lot and would love to get one, but as I said earlier, importing is unfortunately NOT an option for me. I have seen in a number of places now that the VF-700 would fit in the Gigabyte card which is great. However, with regards to the RAM heatsinks, would it be ok to install the VF700 without them? From what I can tell the Gigabyte card does not have dedicated RAM cooling in any case. If I replace the stock heatsink with the VF-700 would I need to put something on the RAM (whether it be the modified ones that come with the VF700 or some alternative RAM cooler)?

Thanks and Cheers,
X

I am currently using the setup your are wondering about.

Yes the cooler will fit. The RAM sinks will need a little coaxing to fit. I just trimmed until they fit. A good pair of dikes or a dremel(I used this for cut and grind) will make short work of it. Since the stock cooler does not address the RAM you can safely omit the RAM sinks. Plus the washing over of air blowing directly on the RAM. Will give more than what comes with the stock cooling of the card. If you do try for sinking the RAM..
Word of advice, don't peel them until they are ready to be seated and the heatsink will clear the RAM sinks. IMO the blue sinks work well with the color of the card. I didn't get but another 25MHz on my RAM sinking them.
The HSI will easily clear and work great. That was my concern with the cooler at first and it clears it very well, so no issues there.
Here is a pick of it installed.
pict00429tb.jpg

Thanks, appreciate it! I am about to order the VF-700 but came across one thread which mentioned another cooler which could work. It is the one which is sold under a number of names and brands, but either way it apparently works on the 6600GT AGP and it comes with RAMsinks which work. It is the Jetart JACSH1 also sold as a Logisys cooler and also as a Vantec IceberQ 5.

It is this one here:
- Vantec IceberQ 5
- Jetart JACSH1

You know anything about it? Anyone had experience with it? I do NOT overclock so am really just aiming to cool the card better than stock, as quiet as possible (would run the VF700 in silent).

Cheers,
X

If you want silence the Zalman is the way to go. I run mine in the high setting and I can't hear it when the side is on. It comes with everything you need and definaly works.
As for the other products, I sadly can't recommend since I never used them. If you can prove to yourself a cooler will clear the HSI. The sky is the limit for an aftermarket cooler. That is our limiting factor.

Thanks for the info. I am definintely leaning toward the Zalman. Guess it's time to get the hacksaw and dremel out :p

Back