• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can small influxes in 12v rail make for a bad oc ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saints 26

I was wondering because I have a crappy Works(never heard of them before)psu its a 500w. At Idle I can see the 12v rail go to 11.90 back to 12.032 the other 5 and 3 stay at 5.1 and 3.4. So My question is with my set up in sig @load with an oc to 2.8 would these small fluctuations cause an unstable oc and at load would the 12v drop even more? I just ordered(will be here tues) the ocz 520w adj powerstream. I needed th psu any way but I'm thinking I can get a rock solid 2.8 or 2.9 with a better psu.

it depends on if your sensors are correct or not. also, you would definitely want to test under load conditions.

small fluctuations are normal but large ones can easily affect stability.

After you try the OCZ you will know exactly to what degree your current supply is limiting you. Until then, it's just guessing.

Same thing what the other guys said.
I know how it feels to have a crap psu. Mine is some no name brand as well. O/Cing with it sucks so much. I know i can get 220 fsb on this cpu but the stupid psu is limiting me. The 12v gets so unstable that it just crashes the pc.... GRRR

Cool I'll post my results wed night. we'll see if I can get 2.8 rock solid.!

Back