• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Thermal fan (Stock 775 fan) on fan controller, bad..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdhunter

I want to know if I will cause any damage to my fan controller, or fan itself by using the stock 775 fan (4 Pin, thermal controlled) on a Vantec fan controller. (as opposed to using the 4 Pin connector on my motherboard)

I heard using thermally controlled fans can damage the controller, but I am unsure. Is this true at all?

The computer Prime'd overnight (2 instances) with the CPU fan at its lowest on the fan controller, but I do hear it throttle once in a while even when the fan controller is set to low. This PC is powered on 24/7 and runs stock, although 3.7GHz is acheivable with no extra voltage, but all I got is a stock h/s, so I can't run reliably.

I don't really need the speed more than I need quiet. The 775 fan sounds like a small tornado and it bugs the hell outta me.

I am just worried about blowing something with they way things are set up now.

No damage should occur if only wires are attached properly. However I wouldn't do it. It's mostly becasue of huge thermal output of your CPU - you decrease fan speed, CPU will throttle. If you want it cheap and silent, maybe think about getting Freezer7 - it should be available for around $20 or slightly more.

Ven0m said:
No damage should occur if only wires are attached properly. However I wouldn't do it. It's mostly becasue of huge thermal output of your CPU - you decrease fan speed, CPU will throttle. If you want it cheap and silent, maybe think about getting Freezer7 - it should be available for around $20 or slightly more.

Yeah, I think I will definitely follow your advice and look into a better cooling solution. I added 2 more case fans (80mm) and it seems to have controlled the throttling a little bit, but I don't want to burn something up by accident.

That Freezer7 looks crazy, but I may just look into an aftermarket cooling solution. Gotta round up some money first. :p I can deal with a little noise until then. And who knows, 3.7GHz full time may even become an option afterwards. :)

Back