• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Signs of a dieing video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

hmmm. i dunno what i did, but perhaps it had something to do with me trying to plug both my displays in, as well as a svideo out.
Wanted to see if my capture on the other pc was working, using svideo.
so yea... what i get now, are some really nice super distortded green characters on my screen when i boot up. This is my secondary display, which the lcd is perfect..

at boot, normally, it would show the post details clearly on both displays, now, the bios screen shows distorted green characters on display 2. in the bios the second one just goes dead and wont come back again untill in windows.. the starting windows 2000 screen is shown, but distorted to all hell ha ha. not even readable.

so when i get INTO windows, it acts fine... displays the desktop wallpaper for that display as crisp as ever, windows explorer on that display is fine so is divx, but my mouse cursor... heh. it doenst even show me one. i get either a black box, or a translucent bunch of colored pixels in a box...
I wanted to take a screenshot of it, but it didnt show for some reason. oh well.

I guess this card might be starting to die ne? i thought maybe i just corrupted windows somehow, or my display drivers and hydravision with that stunt, but for it to do this at post is kind of dissheartening. GPU still works, i just 3dmarked it and its great, but the secondary display is getting a little more gibbled with every reboot.

so yea.. think i shoudl start looking at a new gpu?
I was thinking of getting myself a 9600xt aiw to tide me over, but if this card is going to up and die, i might just spring for a new motherboard while im at it. this msi is not liking me too much.

bleh. dissappointing when **** decides to die. but i guess i cant complain. this card has taken everything i did to it in stride. the bios flash, the modded silencer, sanding down of some chips to make room for said silencer ha ha.

ocforums8.jpg

Last edited:
i dunno though. it worked perfectly untill tonight. this happens at the bios screen where the card is running stock xt speeds, this card is easily able to attain that. ah well.

ill try to clock it down a little more to see how it works out. its only the mouse though in windows, and only on display 2.. so weird he he.

He he. i dunno. i came back to my pc today to see the second display flickering with all kinds of distortion and deathy fun. its sooo awsome =D
now it wont recognize my second display at all. it knows its there, but wont drive it. its awwwwsome.
ah well, i might get myself a nice all in wonder 9600XT when i get paid. im so used to my dual display now its just... so not normal to not have.
I dont know if its too much of an oc or it getting too hot though. i took my pc clean appart to test everything, the card had been sitting out for over an hour. so it had a chance to cool down. it still gave me the distorted display on 2 on a cold boot.
its just the secondary display.. primary works fine. bleh.

Just to rule it out, try replacing the cable on display 2. It could be a bad cable. Also have you tried to switch displays? (connecting #1 to #2 and vice versa) that would rule out alot.

I tried the second display on display one and it is perfect. i also tried them both on my other system, powered by my geforce. doesnt have dual head but they both work fine. the only thing i can THINK that might be a problem is the dvi converter, but i dont have a tv to test with the svideo to rule that out.
both displays and cables are fine, unless the dvi is damaged in some way.
the card is pretty warm, but i looped it through 3dmark 03 just now to test it. works fine, just wont drive my second monitor now >_<.
I clocked it down to stock pro speed now to see if that will help at all.
I wish i had another dual head card to test to rule everything else out. this started to happen when i tried some settings on my pc. tried to oc mildly and played with memory timings.
shouldnt have anything to do with the gpu though. THe only thing i can think of really is it didnt like having the two displays and svideo plugged in. I used an svideo from this card to my video in on the geforce to test capture *which didnt work <_<* and now im stuck with this.

Back