• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF4 Intel Edition is HOT - PD 2.8 does not work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markodude

Has anyone else noticed how hot the NF4 Intel Ed. chipset runs? I am estimating my NB to be at 70-80c right now (no temp sensor around), the P5ND2-SLI has no fans on and I am running a single 40mm I stole from the Gigabyte SLI board I had...
Also does anyone know why the Pentium D 2.8 not work in these boards? I have one and am not going to be able to use it or I am going to have to build another rig with a 955x board to use it :MAD:

The Pentium D issue is a combination of a chipset conflict and a BIOS issue. I belive the latest BIOS resolves it.

Sadly I hate to inform you, but its well known that nforce4 will not support dual-cores. nVidia said themselves that "its up to the manufacturer to support them" ie, it wont without serious modification.

The NForce 4 doesn't work with the lowest speed grade Pentium D, the 820.

NVIDIA’s spokesperson confirmed that the company had scrapped support for Intel Pentium D processor 820, which works at 2.80GHz, on its chipsets citing low demand for such chip from enthusiasts. NVIDIA’s nForce4 SLI Intel Edition chipsets will only support Intel dual-core processors at 3.0GHz and above, including Intel Pentium D and Intel Pentium Extreme Edition products.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050524054105.html

Thanks for the Pointless post .... Anyways:

Its a shame it wont support the 820 ... probably put down a lot of peoples hopes for going dual core on these boards.

Maby there is something I don't understand here, but the one thing that I love about Intel are the chipsets... Nvidia chipsets feel like they are glued togeather with chewing gum, and I don't understand why anyone would pick one over an Intel based board..

The MSI board you referenced supports dual cores just not the 2.8...

Maby there is something I don't understand here, but the one thing that I love about Intel are the chipsets... Nvidia chipsets feel like they are glued togeather with chewing gum, and I don't understand why anyone would pick one over an Intel based board..
The reason I upgraded from 955X to NF4 was down to SLI ability of NF4.....

With the new forceware 80 release any board with a 16X and 4X slot will be able to run SLI. So the P5WD2 Should be able to work perfectally fine.

Back