• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Benchmark comparison 1GB vs 2GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
Anyone know if there is comparison data on A64 systems using 1GB of ram at 1T vs using 2GB of ram at 2T? All things being equal, if I run my system with 1 gig of ram vs 2 gigs of ram what would be the outcome? Would my 3D benches be higher or lower? Your insights may determine if I get another gig of TwinMOS Speed Premiums since I've now fallen in love with the timings. Thanks.

Definitely lower. 2GB at 1T might be a different story, but I've never seen that one done before.

2 gigs has advantages in the more demanding games and other real life usage, but it's not going to do anything but hurt synthetic benchmarks.

alrighty then..... guess that slams the door on that idea....... thanks alot btw for your reminder the other night. I'm now running my ram at 240fsb running 290x10 and the 5:6 ram divider. Didn't have to lower my timings either...... :D

Heres with 4x512 tccd and utt combo...

screenshot0169ih4bs.jpg

autoMATTic said:
Lol it says his cpu temp is 239 C. Are you sure your not using a Prescott?
either wrong read out or vapo cooling, probably vapo

Gautam said:
Now pull two of those 512 meg sticks, run 1T and show us what you get...

Agreed.... I want to see the same settings with 2x512 1T....

and yes he is using subzero cooling.

Would be interesting to see what he gets with 1Gb.

But he is using 2001se, I can't see that even benefiting from 1gb of ram over 512mb.
Me thinks 3dMARK 2003 is needed in order to get a better comparision?

Long time since I did anything with this thread but since I've "finally" gotten my TCCD ram to act right with 4x512 2T, I'm gonna do a few comparisons to show the differences (again). I know this has been done before but there's nothing like seeing it on your own computer. Let me know if there are any other benchmarks you'd like to see. Thanks.

Both setups are with TCCD ram clocked with almost the same timings at 270fsb.

Attachments

• Comparison.JPG
    Comparison.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 187
That's interesting, I'd like to see that same comparo done against both Lobby tests where interleaving 1GB makes a big difference.

alright...... I'll do it tonight..... anyone else want to see something?

Ask and ye shall receive.... As you can see although you don't lose much you certainly don't gain anything in benchmarks by using 2T and 2GB of memory. All timings are identical, all I did was switch to 2T and add two more sticks of ram....... FSB = 270 2.5-3-3-7. :cool:

Attachments

• 3D01comparison-F.JPG
    3D01comparison-F.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 164
Really makes you wonder what 2Gb @ 1t would be like. Too bad we can't find out just yet. Will 2GB 1t boot at any speed I wonder, but don't corrupt your BIOS on my account ;)

Thank's for the test HR :D

El<(')>Maxi said:
Will 2GB 1t boot at any speed I wonder, but don't corrupt your BIOS on my account ;)

Thank's for the test HR :D

I have run it all the down to 166 on a divider and still not get my system to boot. So if you're asking me I'll say NO! :p

HousERaT said:
I have run it all the down to 166 on a divider and still not get my system to boot. So if you're asking me I'll say NO! :p

Boot 1GB with 200Mhz set 1T then plug the other two sticks in really fast ;) :D

The Crucial Ballistix stuff can do insane speeds 2 GB 1T. But no one ever seems to like Micron. :shrug: All about the Samsung and the Winbond.

Back