• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB mouse issue - need advices please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bencze

Registered
Hi All,

I've got this weird problem with my mouse since a while. I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (USB). I am playing some games (well Eve Online and WoW), and the mouse cursor sometimes freezes. Then I need to pull it out and plug it back and it works again. Now it does not happen VERY often and I could even live with it, kinda, but sometimes it happens in the worst moments (fight, whatever). Anyway, it's a very annoying issue. My machine is the one in the sig, I am using Win2k with SP4 and all updates. I just got this issue recently (1 month perhaps?) and as I am thinking there is only 1 change I did, to install a soundcard (the on-board Realtek '97 was really awful).. got a Yamaha from a friend, no idea what is it, it's one of those fiber outputs... an older one I'd guess. Windows recognized it and installed a generic driver so didn't bother reading the text on the chip(s).
Anyway, like on this Sunday, played for hours and hours without this problem, then in 1 hour this happened 3 times. No error messages appeared in the Event log.

Any suggestions? Can the soundcard do this? The PSU should not be a problem, was using a 300 or 350w (don't know anymore) Codegen PSU before, and I was not stressing the machine this much but not much has changed in it (hardware) and it was working so a 420w enermax should do a good job...

thx

A number of microsoft peripherals have been known to have this issue, especially their joysticks.
You may want to try a different brand.

Back