• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why do mobos have 83mhz settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

why the heck do motherboars have 83mhz fsb setting if there is no real use for them because the pci bus is out of wack. and whats the differnece between the FSB and the system bus

oh shoot, sorry you guys, i just realized that i posted a mobo question in a cpu section. oh well it will prbobaly get moved or somethin

Front Side Bus (FSB) and system bus is the same thing. Some components can run at 83 MHz if they are high quality, exceptional parts. But, you're right, it's often right on the ragged edge of instability. Why that was a standard motherboard setting, I don't know. Need to ask the design engineers.

batboy said:
Front Side Bus (FSB) and system bus is the same thing. Some components can run at 83 MHz if they are high quality, exceptional parts. But, you're right, it's often right on the ragged edge of instability. Why that was a standard motherboard setting, I don't know. Need to ask the design engineers.

It is all for the Celeron's. They run at 66Mhz stock and they don't really go to 100Mhz to well. I know I ran my 400Mhz Celeron @ 500Mhz for a while at 83Mhz. It does run on the edge of instablity, but It got the job done. I know that the system is no longer willing to run at that speed again.

Bmxpunk86pl said:
oh shoot, sorry you guys, i just realized that i posted a mobo question in a cpu section. oh well it will prbobaly get moved or somethin

And so it shall....lol :D

DING! You are now in the "Intel Motherboards" topic.

Mr B

Sir-Epix said:

It is all for the Celeron's. They run at 66Mhz stock and they don't really go to 100Mhz to well. I know I ran my 400Mhz Celeron @ 500Mhz for a while at 83Mhz. It does run on the edge of instablity, but It got the job done. I know that the system is no longer willing to run at that speed again.

No it's not for the Celerons. The 83 Mhz FSB was out way before the Celerons. The 83 Mhz FSB was made for the Cyrix. It was the first CPU to break the 66Mhz barrier.

Kingslayer said:

No it's not for the Celerons. The 83 Mhz FSB was out way before the Celerons. The 83 Mhz FSB was made for the Cyrix. It was the first CPU to break the 66Mhz barrier.

hmmm. what about pentium 2's. those ran 66 mhz.

Before I got my new heatsink, I ran my celey at 832 on the stock heatsink on an 83mhz bus with no problems at all.

Back