• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ or Corsair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deviantpenguin

Registered
Hey guys. I'm in need of your honest opinions. I am building a new rig and I am having trouble deciding which brand I should get for the system memory. Here is the comp i plan on getting:

AMD Athlon64 Venice 3800+ s939
ABIT AN8 mobo
ASUS Geforce 6800 GT

I don't have the other parts completely decided yet, but RAM is the biggest question on my mind right now. I have narrowed the choices down to Corsair and OCZ. Both are moderately priced (I plan on getting 1GB PC3200 DDR 2x512) and both have good reviews.

So my question is, which would you pick?

Thanks for the suggestion speed bump. A 1 meg cache does sound good, but I read reviews saying that the 3800+ preformed better. So I checked it out, but I couldn't find any benchmarks that included both models in question. Do you have any links that I could visit?

On a side note: I don't plan on overclocking. I've never done it before, and I don't really know what it entails. And it would be my luck that I try to OC my brand new processor and somehow I do it wrong and completely fry the damn thing. So I'm gonna play it safe for a while and just stay at factory speeds.

This is a link for one with Venice cores, don't have anything on San Diegos but the 1mb cache sure helps.
Any chip above 3200 is useless IMO as you can get the 3200 to clock the same, just read the review.
As far as your original question about the memory: OCZ all the way.

Corsair still (and will continue to) use TCCD chips. I recommend Corsair TwinX 1024-4400C25PT, its reasonably cheap. If you don't plan on OCing, any name brand RAM will be fine.

Back