• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Silent Tower and Artic Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Read some reviews on this cooler a few minutes ago and it seems pretty good.
Here is the linky to my local store:
http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=1981&mcid=17

Is it any good? i intend to use at as my FINAL heatsink for my athlon xp. seeing as my local store is unaware of the GOOD coolers out there, example: xp-90/120 and the si-97 i am forced to buy some of these other monsters.
Is it any good and feedback. :)

Also...
I want to replace my dinky little gpu cooler on my ati aiw 9600 XT. It is pretty much a little piece of gold turd. noting more. It doesn't even have contact with the bga ram. I want to replace it with this:
http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=3879&mcid=17

and then probably pair it with some tweakmonster bga ram sinks. My new case has a fan on the door that blows directly onto the video card so i should get some good o/c. My current hs barely gets more more than 50 mhz. Sad... :cool: Is it any good?

Sorry, about all the questions, but one more. :) When i removed my gpu heatsink ( the dinky one i have now) to replace the thermal goop with as5, i noticed there was this wierd bubble gum-like substance inbetween the core and the hs. What is this stuff and how can i remove it? :shrug:

thanks guys. and gals if there are some here...

That is a nice CPU cooler however there are nicer ones. If you prefer Thermaltake you should look at their "sonic tower".

As for the GPU that cooler will do fine but note that there are others available which are just as good.

alright. cool.
What kind of gpu coolers are there that are better?

Btw. do you think that the silent tower heatpipes and/or the heatsink itself be obstructed by the fact that i am currently using a zalman passive heatsink on my northbridge? the piassive hs is rather tall, measuring to be around 4 cm tall.

Last edited:
If it is available to you and will fit in your case, I would recommend the Aerocool vm-101. On your card I am sure it will run passive just fine. I have one on my fx5700 ultra, and it stays plenty cool. Plus, I believe the tweakmonsters will fit with it mounted.

hmm. cool. i'll check t out. will it fit on my card? cuz mines an all in wonder and i got that dinky tuner protruding out on the board.

also, are the mechanisms used in these coolers for attaching them a bit unsafe? because i read some reviews and you have to tighten these bolts into this latch and it could be unsafe for the unprotected athlons that have no heatspreaders on them. i mean with the open core and what not.

i just bought a arctic cooling vga silencer rev 3 because none of my local stores carry the vm-101. im a little dissapointed in the stores because they are stocked by fools that do not even know what the best coolers on the market are.

Anyway, the silencer is VERY good. I am currently at _____(in siggy) and counting. Been able to play battlefield two and great framerates for over 2 hours now. Same with 3dmark03.

I am now thinking about buying the thermaltake polo since the silent tower is very big, scary to install (i don't want to break my great overclocking chip) and expensive. the polo on the otherhand is also big, easy to install and still better than my coolermaster one i am using right now.

I have the Silent Tower.

I like. Really Like.

At 2.3 GHz in my very hot country (30+ ambient) It kept my temps at about 60 load (1.775 volts).

Currently at stock, load temps are 47-48 which I consider awesome. With a stock cooler temps were in the late 50s at stock voltage/speed.

We are in similar situation to yours, no Thermalright. Only TT and Asus (the StarIce cooler is much worse).

Mounting is fiddly but doable. Be prepared to screw it down scary tight. The cooler shouldn't wiggle. There is a fine line between firm fitment and a cracked core. The Silent Tower uses two of the Athlon's four pads, and no other pads are supplied. A Shim might be a good idea.

Back