• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System temps rising when Fear Factor is running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dell_Axim

Is there any reason why my system temperatures are rising a few degrees when running Fear Factor for a few minutes?
I always run folding@home so the CPU is always at 100% usage. I'm using gkrellm to monitor temperatures. What temperature does it measure with my system? (specs in sig)

BTW, the reading is 100.4F without Fear Factor, 104F with Fear Factor.

wait... what do you mean by Fear Factor. is that a game?
No, it's just a program that is commonly used to "stress test" newly built/repaired PCs. (It also makes for a very unusual and exciting display on the PC. Great when you're inviting friends over, etc.)

Oh, I just noticed that my chipset is running hotter than normal with Fear Factor running. Why is that?

oh. intersting. i should go donwload it.
Anyway,to your question, the only thing that i can think of, why it is running hotter is because it tests different parts of the computer, the chipset being one of them. maybe someone around here can provide a better answer, but thats the only reason i can think of.

I don't really know what those numbers are in c but I do know why it gets hotter. While f@h is made to run at 100% it is not really stressing it as much as any other stress test like prime95 ect. If you can run stable at F@H though, you are fine.

That is only 38° C going up to 40° C. You are more than fine with those temps. The A64's are good up to 70° C, and being at 38°C while folding, I would say that you have very nice temps. Being such a small difference, I don't think that I would personally worry about it too much. If anyone notices anything that I have said in error, please feel free to correct me. I don't really know too much about A64, as I am still running my XP3000+, and just used AMD's website to get that max temp.

if you don't mind, could you point me in the direction of this prog? google comes up with too many useless results searching for it =\

I would like to try this program to.

About the temp. I agree with squasher. A benchmark is supposed to stress the system as much as possible. This will produce a lot of heat. Using 100% processor is not fully stressing the system, just using all the cycles of the processor. There are many other things producing heat besides the processor.

Back