• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crappy psu,..venice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

Well im getting a new mobo, venice, and gonna be running it caseless...for a while...with crappy spare ram...crappy fx5200pci...wd 120 hd.

Do i NEED to use a 24 pin psu? The venice will either be underclocker, or actually, ram will be run on a divider. No OCing..i could even downclock

basically, CAN i temporarily?

that doesnt mean i CANT

i need an answer on the 20 pin psu 24 pin mobo

I run my venice at 2.8 ghz on a 20pin- granted, its a beast of a psu- but it hasnt caused problems whatsoever.

Many people share my experience.

Quality psu is more importaint than 20 vs 24
Now, if you are getting a new psu- then 24 pin is what you should be getting.

oh i will get one
this is just for a week..just wanna get it started, make sure stuff works
do i need an adapter?

I wouldn't recommend doing it, if you have a wimpy psu it could fry your internals from what I understand. I would either wait a week until you get that psu or get a $10 adapter to be safe.

My A64 winnie is running with the 20 pin connector in the in the upper portion of the slot. You don't want to use a bada** video card in this configuration b/c those extra four pins are for extra power to the PCI-E slots. Do you have an old low end PCI video card or one that has the molex adaptor on card that you can plug in. Other than that you should be able to ride.
Once you are setup, you should be able to boot to bios and look at the PC health screen to see that the power/temps are normal. If ok you should be able to boot into an OS. Your CPU gets most of its power from the square 4 pin molex.

Edit( After posted, I saw the FX5200PCI listed and it should work as you will have the power needed).

Last edited:
Back