Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

best 56k modem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 01:46 AM Thread Starter   #1
adriana

Question best 56k modem?

does anyone any good 56k modem that connects online fast, and at a fast rate?

ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
power supply: XFX 850W
video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
monitor: DELL 2408WFP

HeatWare
adriana is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-05, 02:03 AM   #2
Sshadow

A realtek 56k modem is pretty much easy going and as fast a 56k can go. 6-8kbps depending on traffic.

//Christian

My Heat
Sshadow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-05, 05:47 PM   #3
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

THIS is what I have coming now.
I got tired of lame issues with internal and Robotics/3Com modems and am going external through a REAL com port instead of a windoze emmulated one.
Multi-tech has made modems for business for years, and I'm gonna grab this home version for me.

I can't swear that this one will be God amongst modems (I don't have it yet) but with a 10 year warranty, it can't be bad...
This link is also one of the cheapest places I've found it for, some are as high as $120+!

*BTW, it doesn't come with the required RS232 serial cable (none do), but TigerDirect has one for $4.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
Diggrr is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-05, 07:35 PM Thread Starter   #4
adriana

awesome i hope you get a good modem, tell me how it goes! its pretty expensive >.< external is better then internal huh? sshadow can you give me a link to that one realtek 56k modem.

HeatWare
Old 06-21-05, 10:13 PM   #5
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

External serial modems tend to be more expensive because they are a full hardware modems, and don't hardly need a computer to do what they do. They process the data and pass it to the computer, the computer itself need barely lift a finger to download anything.

Not to be confused with cheaper external USB modems, which are strictly winmodems, and only act as an interface between the phone line and the computer. They have no processing capability of their own and use the computer's resources to do everything.
Everything about them is simulated via software, and I've had the poorest of speed and luck with them.

Sorry, but the good stuff costs...usually over $70 US.

Right now I'm running a USRobotics 5699B that connects well (36k in the far far boonies), but has random issues with faxes and some downloads. It was only $20, so ya get what you pay for. The winxp drivers work better than USR's own drivers...strange.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
Diggrr is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-22-05, 06:47 PM Thread Starter   #6
adriana

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16825134006

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...175073&CatId=0

i found those two, i kinda like newegg better because its gets to me in one day xD

HeatWare
Old 06-22-05, 07:50 PM   #7
CeeDeeJay

Info on Modems

Here are some hints that help when purchasing modems (and deciding which one is right for you)
1) Always buy hardeware modems and not software modems.They have several advantages.They have there own components and do not use your computer to do there work.When you use software modems the software is subject to many problems that always occur when running windows ,adding and deleting programs ect.Software modems have more problems (and are cheaper).
2) When buying a hardeware modem go the the manfactures website prior to buying to verify the modem is a hardeware modem.Nowdays even the more repetable companies often won't tell you it is a software modem and the sellers are famous about not telling you it is a software modem (yes even wal-mart and newegg have been known to do this on occasion).Sometimes the manf's website won't tell you until you look up that it takes a winmodem(software)driver for it to work.
3) Only buy from repetable manf's because it is important that the drivers are kept updated and usually the repetable companies have the drivers availible to download on the website(check).Many of the cheaper companies won't have then or will send you on a wild goose chase over the internet to try to find the drivers.This usually isn't important the day you install it the first time but is later when you change computer configrations.
4) Prior to purchasing a modem decide what you need your modem to do.They are availible in data only as well as data and fax modems as well as data,fax and voice.It is discuraging to buy a modem and later decide you need faxes or voice and have to buy another.
CeeDeeJay is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-22-05, 09:18 PM   #8
Outlaw Wizard

here is a good modem not a winmodem a real modem

http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app...104-131&depa=0
Outlaw Wizard is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.