• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the best >500w power supply? (e.g. need best power supply)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

what is a good >500w power supply?

powers an intel840EE/athlon x2 and SLI

psu needs to be active pfc, and must use a 12cm or bigger fan (not 80mm's) and must be QUIET

fan less considered also, though must have enough power

thanks for the time

_

p.s. atx 2.03 or at least >2.0 is also a must, also need 24pin headers and modular psu cords preferred

The only one that meets all requirements is the Seasonic S12 600w. If this is a dual CPU system, I would avoid any dual 12v rail unit, forget about a big fan, and go for the Fortron FSP550-60PLG, SilenX/Fortron 600w, PC P&C 510w, or any Zippy over 500w.

I love the AX500-A, but I wouldn't suggest that one for SLI with 6800's.

Last edited:
leaning now towards the OCZ modstream, since it has both a 120mm fan and the modular cable system, though i'm having doubts about the 28A (520w ver, biggest in the list) on the 12V rail powering sli and the dual core

how are the seasonic's reliability?

thanks again

_

Avoid the Modstream for dual core and SLI - it won't handle it. The Powerstream 520w should though. The 600w might, but not sure - that particular unit has trouble with dual CPU rigs.

Seasonic impresses me - only heard of one of theirs breaking down in the last several months. Very efficient and well built IMO - my next PSU will probably be one of theirs.

Hmmm... Many recommend the OCZs but I think that Vantec have the best range. Check 'em out on OCUk

I am going to be getting the 600W Seasonic as well, from what I have read/heard it is a very quiet, relaiable psu.

alright, seasonic it is, 600w and active pfc look pretty good

i was also thinking of an enermax, though just like the powerstream they don't use 120mm fans, though power rating wise they seem alright - doubts again about reliability

can someone recommend me a place to buy the seasonic 600w (w/pfc)?

thanks

_

Back