• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redo AS5????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tugboat

Registered
I just reinstalled my XP-90c using AS5 and didn't see any difference than with the stuff that came with the HS. Of course I didn't bother reading the instructions for the AS5 on their web site as I figured it was put on like the other stuff (apply small amount and spread with a plastic card to create a smooth edge to edge coating). Upon reading the instructions it seems all I should have done was put a small dab in the center of the CPU's head spreader and install the HS. This never would have ever entered my mind as it seems like so little and how could it do the job.

Anyway, with a case temp of 31c, my idle temp is 35c and max load is 54c on a P4 3.0 running at 3.4. Are these temps just fine and I should leave well enough alone, or should I clean it up and start over using the AS5 instructions? Do you think I'll see any change in temps or all seems to be fine the way it is?

Thanks

AS5 should be applied as per the instructions. Improper application will degrade the effectiveness of the AS5. As silly as it sounds when they say use a VERY VERY tiny amount is all that is needed they are not kidding. This is a material to fill in the imperfections and such. It is meant to improve the contact area of the HSF to the CPU. If you use too much you can end up with a poor thermal coupling and thus see no improvement. Also note it takes some 200+ hours and a number of heat/cold cycles for AS5 to totally set up and cure. It can take even longer depending on your application.

Z

is that a Prescott or a Northwood? for a prescott, it still seems somewhat high but without more info, can't really give you a very accurate answer.

Sorry for the lack of info. I'm good at doing that when it's needed and give too much info when it's not. :)

It's a Northwood. The 90c got me down from an idle temp of 41c and full load of 64c. That was using the paste that came with it. Looks like I need to remove it, clean off the AS5 and apply per their instructions. I should be able to do it in my sleep soon. :)

how much voltage are you giving that northwood?

that is a very high load temp for a northwood, imo.

what fan are you using on that XP-90C?

I was getting 54c load with a Tri-Blade Delta (87cfm at 12v) running at 6v, on an XP-90, with the 530J in my sig at 3.8. You should get lower temps than what I get.

I'm using stock voltage. My case is an Antec Soho with 2 Sunon 80s for intake at the bottom of the case, two Sunon 80s exhaust mid way up the case, PSU has one 90 intake on the bottom and one 80 exhaust, HS has a 92 Vantec blowing down on it..... In the case I have three WD 205G HDs in the drive cage and one of the intake fans is mounted in that. I don't get much flow from it as it has only small gaps between the drives and it can't push much through there.

I'm sure the three HDs, 4 256MB sticks of RDRAM, DVD burner, CD burner and Matrox Parhelia are adding to the case temp, but I figure a case temp of 31c isn't too bad. If the CPU is on the high side, it has to be my lame application of the thermal paste.

While my case might not be wired as nicely as ones I've seen here, I have gone to round IDE cables (have 4 of them) and tried to keep all other wires routed nicely.

my case temp is around 31-32, cpu idles at 39, loads at 47 with this cooler.

I found that making side intakes helped immensely. Now my temps with the case panel off is the same as with the case side panel on.

Should I try running with the side off and a fan blowing on it to see if that would help? I'd hate to cut into my case in such a way if it didn't help much (if at all). Would that be a good test?

well, I'd definitely want you to have some air flow, though a desktop fan might be cheating since you probably won't be moving that much air into the case.

It's definitely worth seeing if the cpu load temps with the side panel off will lower. if it does, you need to redo your cooling strategy.

I have a small fan I can use to blow air so it won't be as helpful as a large room fan. If that doesn't help any, I'll remove the HS and put on the AS5 using their instructions. If that doesn't help, my cooling strategy will be that of the Cray super computers and submerge my systemboard in a non-conductive fluid and cool it that way. :)

I'll do the open case test tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

I am curious as to what Motherboard you are using. Those temps seem awful high for a Northwood that is unless you happen to be using an Abit MB then it makes perfect sense.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as long as you use the recommended amount of AS5, application methods seem to vary from person to person. What method might give me great temps, may not have such great temps for someont else. I guess that's the way that everything works, like cable management. Some people want to see absolutely no wires, and some people don't mind having some wires showing. I have heard of some people putting some on the IHS, then setting the heatsink on it and twisting just a little bit, and some people just mount the heatsink. I have even heard of people spreading it around a little bit like it was an open core CPU. I know that following the instructions is almost always the best way to do it, but I guess some people just find ways that work better for them. I know that I followed the directions to a T, and that seems to be the way that works for me.

Well I just ran the last hour with no side panel on my case and a fan blowing into it. My case temp went up 1c and the CPU went down 1c in both idle and full load. I'm taking from it that I have no issue is case cooling and if my CPU temps are on the high side of a Northwood 3.0 OCed to 3.4, it has to be my mounting of the XP-90c. Tomorrow I will remove the HS and clean off all the AS5 and reinstall per their instructions and see if that makes a difference.

I was under the impression that an idle and full load such as mine was good. Even if it is, I'd sure like it lower if possible (especially if it would be if not for a mistake of mine).

Thanks!

Going up in temp by 19° seems to be quite a bit too much, and if I were in your shoes, I would definitely be looking into reseating, and also while you are at it you may want to check for proper seating. Other than that, your fan on your heatsink may not be enough for it? I don't really know what else may be the cause. I am sure that someone else here would know.

I checked the base of the HS and it was "true." I think it's in my, over, application of the AS5. From reading their instructions, I'm using about 5 or more times the amount. I'm gonna put up the do no disturb sign for the sandman and do it now. :)

Wish me luck and I'll post my results here soon.

Okay, removed HS and cleaned it and the CPU. I applied the AS5 per their instructions and reinstalled. I got these numbers upon startup and letting it set idle for 10 minutes. Case=29c, CPU=35c. I then ran two instances of Prime 95 and after 30 minutes saw the following....Case=31c, CPU=53c. So this is an 18c between idle and max load. I would never have seen an issue with this. So if I'm OCing my Northwood 3.0 to 3.4 with stock voltage, what should I see as a difference between idle and load?

Thanks!

I only see a difference of about 3° to 5°C after being 100% load for an hour or even more. This is something that varies from system to system. Try feeling the heatpipes after load, if they are hot, then you can be sure that you are seeing the correct temps. Also, are you using a board sensor, or the on chip diode? Mobo sensors are notorious for being incorrect. Have you tried Prime95 to check stability? Just some thoughts that may or may not be of help.

how much as5 you guys usually apply on your NB, since the larger area....just the center? I tend to get a little too happy with the as5 sometimes... ;)

I'd swap that vantec fan out with something better. Is it a stealth that you are using?

I would expect to see maybe 10-15c max delta.

Definitely touch the heatpipes to see if they are warm or not.

Back