• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEC 3540 for 49 shipped, no tax if you don't live in GA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PerlAddict said:
FYI, it's $56 shipped ... they require you to purchase Nero for an extra $6.99 with the drive.
Thanks, now I feel better--$2 one way or the other doesn't bother me. I don't remember what, if anything, Newegg is sending with the one I ordered but I really don't need any more burner software so being required to buy it would have really been a waste.

Well, I still ordered one of these from Monarch, as Newegg charges 9.75% sales tax to TN residents, but Monarch doesn't. So that saved me a few bucks, too.

Yeah, the tax and shipping costs (if any) can make a difference. I was going to get a 3520, which was $9 cheaper than the 3540, but Newegg was charging $4 shipping on it and the shipping was free on the 3540, so the upgrade was only $5. For that cost, why not?

With this deal, yes, because it's an OEM drive (which is odd, because I always thought it was OEM SOFTWARE you had to make a hardware purchase with ... not the other way around). I already have the Nero Suite, so I have no use for the additional software, but oh well.

PerlAddict said:
FYI, it's $56 shipped ... they require you to purchase Nero for an extra $6.99 with the drive.

FYI you can drop nero :), it's still 49 shipped.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 311
warlock110 said:
FYI you can drop nero :), it's still 49 shipped.
given it says its required, might want to try buying it w/o before you can be sure, might get ya during checkout. Either way, not bad at all

wow, this is a good deal! i paid $68 shipped 2 weeks back from newegg and from what i've read, this is an excellent burner for ripping dvds with support for both kinds of dual layer...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... i need another one of these for another computer i'm building... i'm very tempted to pick this up right now -plus a legit copy of nero :p

from this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=393901

larva said:
... although the NEC 3520 is a nice burner, it has a ripping speed lock to overcome and problems with safedisc that cannot be. ...

The firmware riplock for DVD-Video formats is 8x on the 3540, up from the 5x of the 3520. Modified firmwares can disable it on either model. On data disks, the 3540 can read DVD+R at 16x and DVD+RW at 13x with the factory firmware.

... you will need modified firmware to fully exploit its potential on DVD-Video and it still struggles with safedisc. The NEC is my preference when ripping with the burner is not a priority, ...

the modified firmware can be found here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=136927

Last edited:
Back