• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Best Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

I am looking to build a 2.4 or something in the area p4 or amd. Cheap is the key factor but i am willing to spend a little bit, prefibly in the 145 range. I am looking for the best proccesor plus motherboard to overlock without using watercooling. Any one have any ideas?

if you want to buy a refurb from newegg you could save alot (i did with the gigabyte in sig) and you could pick up a chip from the classifieds (when you can view em) or on another site...if you wanna trust the 0 post FS forums...its risky but heres what i say
both are great oc'ers, 4ghz on 2.4 fairly easy by some, 4+ by me on the 2.8 (need a better cooler to get it stable there tho)
if you want S478 here ya go
2.4AE
or
2.8AE

Mobo's
board in main rig
or
close to board in 2nd rig...not refurb tho
or
a great board, refurb as well, but still is great

i picked these mobo's and cpu's becuase i know em becuase ive used em, others will give a different opinion becuase they have own experiences, but they know that for s478 these are fairly good

Amarkarian said:
I am looking to build a 2.4 or something in the area p4 or amd. Cheap is the key factor but i am willing to spend a little bit, prefibly in the 145 range. I am looking for the best proccesor plus motherboard to overlock without using watercooling. Any one have any ideas?
I dunno how easy it will be to get a motherboard and processor for about $150...

Amarkarian said:
I am looking to build a 2.4 or something in the area p4 or amd.

A 2.4 AMD is a bit faster than a 2.4 Intel. ;)

Just hang in there until you can access the classifieds here, you can get a decent mobo/CPU combo in your price range. I wish I had waited, I could have saved $200 on my last build.

go for a 2500+/2600+ mobile and a NF7-S v2, it may be about $160 but it will kick that P4's butt above.

And how far can i overclock a 1.8 amd? I am trying to run a cs server so i guess i dont need to much power

You are going to be extremely limited by your budget. Basically, you won't be able to get a P-4 or A64. About the best Intel system will be a Celeron D 2.4 LGA775/Abit AS7 (refurb) or Asus P5P800 (refurb). With decent air cooling, you can O/C these bad boys to 3.6-3.8 gig or so. If you want an AMD system then looks like your best choice is a 2500+ mobile Barton/Abit NF7-S (should be right on budget). Maybe you should save up a few more bucks for something better. What RAM do you have? That might influence what you decide too.

Amarkarian said:
And how far can i overclock a 1.8 amd? I am trying to run a cs server so i guess i dont need to much power
I wouldn't run a server on an overclocked system (assuming it will be dedicated). It is too risky imho, I would rather have a processor running stock, or maybe mildly overclocked but nothing over the top. don't forget to have a decent amount of ram and a fast connection as well.

yeah i wasnt planning on extremly overclocking it, i want to overclock a 1.8 to about a 2.2 or something

that's a decent amount for what I would think is the palamonio (sp?) core. It would also run fairly hot as well if I remember correctly.

Back