• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig I got in mind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wwing49

Plz comment on stuff i should/shouldnt do:

Intel 640
Abit 955x
OCZ Powerstream 520W
BFG 6800gt SLi (once the price goes down a bit)
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667 3-2-2-8
WD 200g HD from current rig
WD 74g Raptor
DVD Burner From current rig
Possibly Audigy 2
Housed in a Lian Li V2100B

Cooling:
TDK 775 Block
D5 Pump (combo at dangerden.com)
Black Ice Micro II ( See later comment)
Polyethelyne Resevoir
Tubing
DD Fillport (whatever the hell that is?!?)
Free Anti everything bottle watter additive
2 80mm Tornados on Radiator
2 Panaflo 120mm (the 125ish CFM)
Sunbeam Rheobus Controller (from current rig)

Final thoughts: Will all this fit in the case? It better... What Video Card should i use, im very partial to the 6800gt that i have in this rig, but its AGP. What ram should i get, iv been hearing a lot about BH-5 Chips and UCC (?something like that?) but i wanna make sure ill have the voltage to run them. Also, would i be better off with a different radiator, the reason im going for the dual 80 is b/c there is a spot on the back of the case for dual 80's. Would i be better off with a single 120mm rad on the only exhaust?

Last edited:
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm assuming that Abit motherboard is SLI-ready. If so, then get a 6800 Ultra, or wait a while until the 7800s come out so that the 6800s might lower in pricing. For ram, get anything in low latency. I personally would choose the Corsair Xtra Low latency brands, their usually TCCD and around $150.

My opinions:
I personally would choose the AMD over intel, especially for gaming and such. I'm not 100% sure if a 520W is enough for you, since you like cooling and have a lot of fans, and will have the dual SLI video cards too.

The mobo does not support SLi, and frankly, i dont want to shell out that much unless the 7800 series significantly lowers the 6x00 series
Im also an Intel fan and will not cross over... i duno why, but i wont. I just realized that the Deltas are 26ish watt and i might go with a lesser fan. But if i stick with these, i will most likely boost to 600 watt to pick up for the fans

Wow!! That is quite a nice rig you got laid out there.

Look at raising the budget on your RAM up to around $200 that is pretty much the price point where you start getting into the higher performance lower latency RAM.

The Video card price range is good since you are partial to Nvidia then stick with it. I am partial to BFG myself. I use a 6800 Ultra. I happen to like the 24/7 support and the lifetime warrenty on the card. This is a nice card in your price range. Also it comes out of the box OCed to 370 versus 350 on other 6800GT models. Of course you can always push it higher. ;)

The Fill port. Well that is a bulkhead fitting that you install in the top of your case. This gives you a convienent place to add coolant without the risk of spilling all over inside of your rig.

The Radiator, Bigger is better and a 120mm fan will move more air quieter then 2 80mm screamers. or you can get a larger one that will hold 120mm fan(s) and move even more air. It is really up to you and what the case can hold. OF course you can always mod the case to your liking. Either way, Head over to Danger Den they are having one hell of a sale on radiators (50% off) at the moment now would be a good time to buy that.

I also feel I must warn you about the TFB series Delta. They are loud and by that I mean you can hear it across the house loud. They also do not undervolt very well. So don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited:
I see what you mean and that is such a sweet case I myself would have a hard time putting a dremel to it. LOL

If you don't want to mod the case then you should go with the 80mm Rad then.

I forgot to ask do you plan on going SLI eventually? If so you should consider buying an SLI ready PSU. and maybe save your money for a better Video card to start with.

My buddy just built a more bad *** comp than this...I must have the larger penis! lol

Also, this thing SCREAMS!!!! literally... This new thing would quiet it down a bit. Also, id rather build a whole new system than almost entirely rebuild this. There isnt much to upgrade w/o going to 775 and PCI-E

Last edited:
I forgot to add the rheobus and change the deltas to panaflos that will go at lower rpms. Also, i hear this case is very good at silencing the fans. Im used to a lot of noise though as shown in my current rig in my sig.

that sounds like a good idea... will do. Im thinking of delaying the build of this till winter break, hopfully the 7800 will come out and i can get 6800GT in SLi b/c of the price drop.

For the money you spend on the Abit 925XE Fatal1ty, (A bit gimmicky in my opinion), I think you would be better served to get one of the 955X chipset boards. Other then that looks like a nice build! :)

Back