• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC3200 EL Plat REv 2 VS Mushkin Redline XP3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Encore2097

THis is for my new PC. price is low on both with rebate redlines are 150 ish and ocz is around 160~170 ish. Im thinknig if i feel like runnig stock at first the redlines should do 2-2-2-5 at pc3200 but if i feel like oc'ing later on which i plan to once my warranty expires or i get bored the the redlines offer more room for that. any thoughts?

Planned system:
athlon 64 3500+ venice (lblle > cbble if i read correctly so lbble from zipzapzoom hopefully)
dfi nforce4 ut ultra-d

IrishAssassin said:
Depends on what exactly you want. You want tight timings with mid-high fsb or high fsb with looser timings.

Don't forget the high voltages that he will need to pump to those UTT's in order to achive high freq. You will be forced to use 4V jumper if you want to get up to 250MHz or higher. I was planning to get some Redlines myself but changed my mind. Don't get me wrong its a great RAM, but you need to decide if you want to play with high voltages and get tight timings or low voltages with high freq and looser timings.

I think you must decide whether you want a risky killer system or a safe good system. You can get good performance either way, but low latancy ram seems to be superior when it comes to benchmarking and testing..... probably not much difference in real world applications. The one good thing is DFI has released the new 6/18 bios which seems to stop the cold boot issue and has been verified to stop cold booting the ram with too little voltage. I've already updated my bios and switched back to the 5v rail. Now I can see just how high all my UTT/BH memory can go.

HousERaT said:
I think you must decide whether you want a risky killer system or a safe good system. You can get good performance either way, but low latancy ram seems to be superior when it comes to benchmarking and testing..... probably not much difference in real world applications. The one good thing is DFI has released the new 6/18 bios which seems to stop the cold boot issue and has been verified to stop cold booting the ram with too little voltage. I've already updated my bios and switched back to the 5v rail. Now I can see just how high all my UTT/BH memory can go.

Is the 6/18-3 for TCCD?

I can't get a clear answer on this. Some are saying its 1 and some say its 3.

I thought 1 was for TCCD, 2 for UTT, 3 for both? or does that change every once in a while.

I am glad to hear that HousERat, I will update my buddies who had that problem.

6/18-3 is for TCCD however some people have had better success with the 6/18-2 bios for TCCD..... 6/18-1 is the general all-purpose memory bios.

If you can figure that mystery out i'll give you a cookie. So far i've had the best luck with 3 on TCCD, and 2 with UTT's. I should test more to be certain though.

I've switched back to my BH-die Speed Premiums and I very badly want 264 which will give me 2900Mhz on my San Diego. I'm using 3.7v and if this memory can take it, I'm gonna figure out the right settings. These sticks are the most picky memory I've ever worked with. Seems like every time I up the fsb I have to reset several of the timings to get them stable again. Not sure what all this means but I'm just glad I have a bios that won't help me kill my memory..... :thup:

*cough* getting a little back on topic. whats the max voltage mushkin will still honor their warranty i can't seem to find a number.

btw im thinking about getting those redlines the price is def better than the ocz.

I believe the Redlines are warrantied up to 3.5v..... sorry for the threadjack, sometimes I get excited about helping people..... :D

HousERaT said:
I believe the Redlines are warrantied up to 3.5v..... sorry for the threadjack, sometimes I get excited about helping people..... :D

thanks for the info. hehe doesnt matter. good to see i sparked an interesting topic. carry on as you were :)

Back