• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free MMORPG - Knight Online

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doublejack

I'm not affiliated with K2 or Knight Online in any way, and no this is not another thread about Anarchy Online or Guildwars.

Ok, with that out of the way I'd like to inform those who may be interested that there is a completely free MMORPG called Knight Online. I stumbled across it a few weeks ago, figured I'd give it a shot, and I got hooked.

What is Knight Online (KO): KO is a pretty standard MMORPG. Anyone who has played a MMORPG such as WoW, EQ, Lineage, UO, etc. will have an easy time picking up KO. The pace is pretty fast and the early levels go by quickly. There are clans you can join and the end-game offers both raiding and PvP - something for everyone.

Where do I get KO: K2 is the company that runs the U.S. version, and their website is Knight Online World . You register and create an account on that website and download the client directly or from their mirror, all at no cost. The download is about 280MB. If you are interested in trying out the game, this is the place to go.

As a note, there is also a Malaysian company running their own version of KO which is in English - but that one is pay to play (p2p) and is referred to as MY-KO. And finally there is at least one Asian host running a non-English version, which is where the game originated (it was ported to English and licensed by K2 and the Malaysian company). The free to play (f2p) version is the K2-KO.

How can K2 offer the game free?: K2 makes money in one of 2 ways. First, you can upgrade your account to Ultra Premium which has a monthly charge of $20. The main benefit is faster support should you need a GM, but there are some other benefits too. The other way K2 makes money is by selling what is called Knight Cash. The Knight Cash program basically allows people to spend real money to buy in-game items. Both of these are completely optional so you can truly play for free.

I'll wrap up with a quick informational review.

Similar to WoW, KO is divided into two nations - El Morad (humans) and Karus (orcs) in the case of KO. When you create your first character on a server you have to pick which nation you will play on that server. Obviously the two nations are at war. There are safe areas so you never have to expose yourself to PKing if that's not your cup of tea. On the other hand, if you like PKing then there's plenty of it. There is a National Point system that tracks how well or poorly you & your clan do in PvP. I haven't gotten high enough level yet to really get into the PvP, but there are monthly Lunar Wars and other events that the GMs stage where the two nations are pitted against each other.

Leveling starts off very quickly as I stated earlier. Even a slow player can get to level 10 or 15 in just a few hours. After that it gradually slows down. However, the pace of the game is fairly quick. My background is EQ which I played for many years and KO has a much faster pace. Part of this is the high mob density and respawn rate.

Character development is pretty well done in my opinion. There are only 4 base classes, but where you spend your sill points after level 10 (when you can start specializing) defines what class you really are. For example, I started as a rogue. Once I reached level 10 and accumulated some skill points I had to choose to spend them on either the Archery skills (ranger) or Assassin skills (more like classic rogue skills). What's really great is if you find out later that you made a mistake, you can re-stat your character (it costs game coins to do it). So you never have to live with your early mistakes if you don't want to.

The economies on the servers are in flux right now. There was a duping exploit (it happens to MMORGPs) that has had an impact. The bug was fixed and all the duped items have been deleted, and offenders have been banned. In time things will get sorted out. However, I noticed that money is super easy to come by so item prices are pretty high (in the millions). No worries though - by level 21 I already had over 2M gold saved up.

Finally, the graphics are pretty decent. I'd say they are on-par with Everquest (the first, not EQ2) which is much better than I expected from a free game. The environment is 3d with hills and such. It's not the greatest, but I think the graphics are good enough to not bother gameplay at all. Here is a screenshot.

screenshot_03.jpg

i'm glad someone posted this, i like this game quite a bit. i'd play more mmo games if they didn't charge monthly

Hrmm looks interesting. Right now FlyFF and GUNZ online are alittle bit more fun (to me). KO kinda reminds me of DAoC. MMORPGS like that usually become more of a JOB to play instead of a game though...

I tried installing it a few months ago. It didn't work at all. Their support was awful. So I gave up. Maybe it's worth another shot...

hatkeeper said:
this is a repeated topic

No, it's not. The other thread is about the Knight Online run by e-games or whatever they are called, which is based in Malaysia and pay to play. My thread is about K2's Knight Online which is US based and free. Similar, but different. I highly, highly recommend the K2 version - and especially so for people based in North America because they won't get lag from K2's version.

i'd like this game if there weren't so many damn people... you got 3+ people going for the same mob about 60%of the time. then you have high levels people with nothing better to do than to get manner points killing tons of mobs i am trying to hunt with one hit. on top of this there is just tons of lag even on the "US" servers. the graphics are very dated and i am getting really bad fps on a 9800xt (probably due to lag). this game makes me about ready to gladly pay a sub fee again. the free part is ok but... ill try and stick with it for a few more days.

Which server are you playing on? I play on Ares2 and I never have lag. I also have cable internet so if you have a slower DSL or dialup that could explain too.

And the crowding in the newbie areas is pretty bad right now, that's true. There are a lot of new players lately. Once you get to level 20 you can port to other zones and things are much more spread out. My biggest problem isn't crowding, it's finding a group to hunt with. But that's been getting better this past week and it could also be due to all the fresh blood.

doublejack said:
Which server are you playing on? I play on Ares2 and I never have lag. I also have cable internet so if you have a slower DSL or dialup that could explain too.

And the crowding in the newbie areas is pretty bad right now, that's true. There are a lot of new players lately. Once you get to level 20 you can port to other zones and things are much more spread out. My biggest problem isn't crowding, it's finding a group to hunt with. But that's been getting better this past week and it could also be due to all the fresh blood.

i think i am on beramus1... the lag has to be because of the number of people in the zone (i am on a fat line from roadrunner). how do i port out of the newbie town? i have no clue lol. also, i'll ask you since you probably know, how do you go about upgrading your equipment with the cursed upgrade scrolls?

Sorry it took so long to respond. You port out of town by clicking on one of the two teleporters on either side of the center gate to Morodon (the city where you start). There is a teleporter for El Morad on the left (looking at the gate from inside the city) and a Karus teleporter to the right. The teleporters themselves look like tall stone objects.

As far as upgrading, there is an anvil on the upper level of the town Morodon, up the stairs and to the left. You can only upgrade equipment which has a purple name. Generally this is +1 gear you buy off vendors or get from killing mobs. You open the anvil by clicking on it, put the item you want to upgrade inside, and then add a scroll. There are 3 basic scrolls, Cursed, Normal and Blessed. The better the scroll, the better your odds of success.

I wouldn't use a Cursed scroll for anything other than +1 to +2, or +2 to +3... and even then only on relatively cheap gear. On anything valuable you want to use a better scroll to attempt upgrading. Also, keep in mind that even though the max is +10, any attempt over +5 to +6 is starting to get into quite low odds territory.

Is this genually good because I've been looking for a game to spend hours each day on.

I will give it a try as soon as I get adsl tomorrow!
Thanks we need this kind of info.

Yep, played this about a year to 2 years ago during the free beta trials they had. Wasn't tooo bad but wasn't anything to make me jump for joy either. Given the choice between KO and GW for a non-sub game I'll go with GW. Not that this game won't appeal to some people. Just I found it un balanced, and poorly implemented in some ways.

Ergh... I downloaded it and fired up the game. Since I'm on my really old computer, I'm forced to run it on the lowest settings. However, due to my running on the lowest setting or some such, I can't distribute bonus points to my stat points... hence my inability to actually get in the game. A little help here, please.

Holy thread ressurection!!!!

Uhm.... I just got into this game... and am having major problems logging in after 3 days of playing. It starts to load the game after connecting to server, then crashes saying that there is a problem.

I hope ei don't hafta uninstall then reinstall this whole thing. My bros are trying to play, but it won't even connect to the update server.

reminds me alot of guildwars with worse graphics and a poorer population of camp sellers.

Back