• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much of a 12v rail do I need for this rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

douglasb

I'm setting up the following:

s754 Newcastle 3000+
Chaintech NF3-250 board
GF4 Ti4600
2 x IDE 7200 RPM hard drives
2 x optical drives
2 x cathodes
2 x fan controllers/temp monitors
6 x 80mm fans
onboard sound
Pinnacle TV capture PCI
PCI LAN & modem

Assuming I want a decent overclock, what should my 12v rail look like for this system? I'm moving from a Mobile XP rig, and I understand they don't need much of a 12v rail, but A64 does. Should I go for 2 12v rails, or one stronger one? What is the minimum amperage I should look for, and what is the maximum I should need given this setup? Right now I'm looking at the FSP Bluestorm 500 (460?) and the Antec TruePower 430. I was also looking at the 530w Fortron/Sparkle, but I hear they are outdated.

i would say notheirn below 25A on the 12v

i have 2 vantec stealths in my 997g - 8 harddrive / 3 120mm fans 1 x 80mm fna system and the 12v dip to about 11.78v. - that was when i had one PSU and all items running on it, but that was also only with a p4 1.4 and 512 ram.

douglasb said:
I was also looking at the 530w Fortron/Sparkle, but I hear they are outdated.

That they are - they'll handle a surprising 12v load, but really aren't designed to go much higher than the 18A spec on them. I'm happy to run mine with my 5v oriented board, but I'll be replacing it for my A64 build.

The AX500-A will handle that hardware, as will its FSP550-60PLN or PLG big brothers. Forget the old Truepowers, they have a number of design flaws. The newer True 2's are better, but still have issues.

Other supplies to consider are the OCZ Powerstreams above 470w, or Seasonic S12 over 430w.

Tagan 480 28A on 12v, FSP 500W don't know the rails but it should be A-ok.. Guessing because its well rumored around this forum. :D

//Christian

Back