• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I recently bought the intel 530 processor...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp1k3

I recently bought the intel 530 processor thinking it was the 530J. I had heard lots of good things about the 530J, but little did i know i ordered the 530, not the 530J from newegg. When i got it in the mail from newegg, i expected some great clock speeds. But when i was looking around i finally noticed it wasnt the 530J it was a D0 stepping :bang head. Which made me think, "Oh it cant be that much different compared to the 530J." But was i wrong, this cpu is complete trash if you ask me, the only thing it could run stable was 220FSB. And any higher than that it fails prime. My friend says that he had the 530J at 15x275, running just fine, he didnt run prime or anything. Although he did run 3dkmark03 and 01 a few times, which IMO isnt enough.

I thought my system would be fine just running at 245FSb but little did i know that it wasn't even stable, i had to reinstall windows because i had prime running over night, just before the lan party. Windows was taking about 40+ seconds to open my computer, so i instatly thought maybe a reboot would help. Then when it didnt help, i thought " great i need to reinstall windows. " It didnt take that long to reinstall windows, but thats besides the point.

Overall im not to impressed with the performance of my new system. I migrated from an IC7-G with a 2.4C running 12x270, with pqi tccd chips (2x512mb). And i can see big difference in fps, but thats about it. Maybe loading is 10 seconds faster. But for the money i spent i expected a tad more. Im thinking about either going to amd, or getting to spend some money on the new 6** series, and give intel another chance. In the past i have always ran intel, and they have never let me down. But i have considered amd lately, they seems to be catching up to intel. And im either going to stick to intel, and run some sort of better cooling than air, vapo/water, w/e i can get the money for, or i might just switch to the 939 series on amd side. Or the dual cores.

I guess im trying to decide whether to stick to intel or not. This post is just to see what you guys think i should do. Im pretty much up to any option. The rig im running is what is in my sig if you haven't figured that by now :). And im kinda disapointed in this x800pro. Its the first ati card i have ever boughten, and it doesnt seem to keep up to par with the the 6800 series. Last time i ran 3dmark03 i was getting 8888.

I was watching Tech T.V. about 40 minutes ago, and they were showing the new 6900 GTX. And i am thinking about going back to Nvidia. When it comes to vcards im not as knowledgable as i am with mobos, and cpus. Ill update my status later with my rig if i change anything.

sorry to here

that's too bad that u spent all that money and are not very pleased. I just built myself a new system, and I couldn't be happier. I originally got the 540j, but wasn't quite satisfied myself. If your board is the 925xe motherboard, I would recomend RMAing the processor and getting the p4 550. I say this because you can lower the multiplier to x14 and get a significan't increase in performance.

Also, you really should get the x800xl over the x800pro. It out performs it by FAR!. I used to have that card and on all stock settings, including my CPU i broke 10,000 easily. It's selling for cheap now..

Hope this helps

Is HT properly enabled?

loading games is mostly hard drive speed, not so much CPU speed.

530J is a pretty nice processor. you can see what I've done in my sig. Almost all E0 530J's that I've seen can do at least 3.8ghz. I'd RMA it back to Newegg after talking with someone to verify that you will receive a 530J.

Well i feel somewhat dumb. I never installed my drivers for my chipset, so i was running on what ever came with windows. So now i get about 10449 in 3dmark03, at stock all around (fsb/ram stock, vcard at stock). Im going to try to rma to newegg, its been about a month since i have purchased it. I hope to get off with a clean exchange. Ill go for the 530J in exchange. Its going to be hard. Because it says on newegg. "Any wrong or damaged item must be reported within 7 days. No refund after 30 days, NO CPU REFUND AFTER 7 DAYS, no exceptions." And i ordered those items on 5/11/05. Time to sweet talk the operator :p. *Hopes its a female operator* :).

Last edited:
Back