• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We're all allowed to be stupid once in a while..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjv687

:D :bang head
Well I got my WD 74 GB Raptor, my first SATA drive I've ever used. And I got it all hooked up and working and I'm talking to my friend on AIM who has a WD 80GB SATA drive and I ask him..

-"So does your drive have a standad molex and a SATA power connector on it too?" (The raptor has both)
-"No"
-"Oh, well mine must require more power since its 10k RPM"
-"NO! No No No No No!"
So by then I realize, I guess I'm not supposed to have both plugged in!

Well, it was working fine the whole time so I checked online and everywhere I read said "NEVER use both connectors on the Raptor", "The Raptor has both a stand molex and a newer SATA power connector, but DO NOT use both, you will fry your drive" and other things like that. But if you had never used a Raptor before and you got the OEM drive with no manual and you see 2 power connectors there, what would you do? Hehe. Well, I guess I got REALLY lucky, but I assure you, I am now running the drive using only 1 source of power :p :p

Hehe. I know exactly what you mean. I didn't know anything about SATA until I upgraded this year. I was thinking the same thing about my Hitachi and my Western Digital drives, but I checked with Shard and Permanoob over AIM before doing anything. :)

you got lucky
i had the same-ish problem
i didnt plug into power sources...but it fried anyway

but now im a different rig...all is well

:D

Back