• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aerogate 1 fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

I set up an Aerogate 1 that I got cheep from SVC few weeks back. When I turn one of the dials all the way down the fan still runs very low...I was expecting knob to 0 was gonna turn the fan off....anyone else have an Aerogate and can confirm this or is it just mine?

I am not absolutely sure about this, but I don't think that most fan controllers turn fans off, but just slow them down to about 7 volts. I think I have also seen some that go as low as 5 volts, also. There are a few that turn fans off, although I am not too sure which ones do.

My Aerogate II does the same thing. When you turn it down too low the RPM display begins flashing on and off, and it won't turn off the fan.
It's a PWM controller, meaning pulse width modulation. It's always supplying 12 volts, just in shorter and shorter bursts.
A Rheostatic controller would drop voltage, and would be able to drop voltage below the threshold that the fan would run at, stopping it.

Personally it doesn't matter though, because the fan is still inaudible, which was the goal.
If you'd like the fan stopped, just add a toggle switch into the fan's red wire to shut it off when you wish. I'm not familiar with the v. I, but that might set off the alarm too, as it would in mine.

Last edited:
good answer Diggrr, I had already thought about toggle switch if I needed one but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my unit.

I got the same controller a few weeks ago. It only goes down to 5v but it makes the fan silent still.

I noticed that it makes a buzzing noise when you turn it down. It is even louder then the fans sometimes. Does yours do this to?

Me? I'm running an AGII, and the only fan I have it running is the one that's built into it. I bought it for the four temp sensors.
I had run a Pabst 120mm with it to try it out, and didn't get any hum. Maybe it's a resonant vibration from the unit being hard mounted to the case...dunno. Electronics can do that sometimes, that's why some parts are hot glued to the board in your power supply.
You can try isolating it from the case with some paper towel as a temp (ghetto) shim and the screws left somewhat loose to see if that helps, or if it's coming from the fan.

Back