• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linspire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rockafella134

My friend gave me a coupon to Linspire.com and I downloaded but Im not sure if I want to install it. Is it any good? Is it better than Windows? Is it more stable? Is it worth installing? What should I be aware of?

In general with Linux, Linspire isn't one of my favorite distro's, but I think it is worth checking out. It should be a lot better than Windows, ;) it should be more stable as well. I say it is definately worth installing and playing around with it. If you like it, you can try a more traditional distro later on. The only thing I can think of that you should be aware of with Linspire is that it is more of a commercial distro, while I prefer community based ones that are 101% free/open source.

What are some ones that you suggest getting? Are the other ones harder to use? I dont know anything about Linux but I would like something better then windows.

Linspire will most likely be easier for someone who has not used Linux yet, but you might want to research a distro like Ubuntu before you install it. Ubuntu, like Linspire, will be easy to install and shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of, and it Ubuntu is a more traditional distro.

http://ubuntulinux.org/

Last edited:
Will it work fine? I cant play games right? Will it detect all the stuff like USB and other crap?

its stupid that the whole operating system is free but you have to pay 5bucks for a little program to run games on it :) someone should make a free cedega :p

The CVS version is designed to not work so you get the pay one. =p

I would go with Xandros personally for ease of use, I've never seen another distro that easy to use.

If you are a bit braver, I'd go with Vidalinux (I haven't actually used it, but it's basically an easier to install, gui version of gentoo.

If you're really brave, I'd go for pure gentoo... that's what I run, but the install is not for the faint of heart.

MRD said:
If you're really brave, I'd go for pure gentoo... that's what I run, but the install is not for the faint of heart.
I'm trying to talk amer1337 into doing it. :p The best OS I've ever tried. :D

The thing about gentoo is all the work is up front... once you've got it installed, it couldnt' be easier.

I'm anxious to try vidalinux, I want to see how they changed the installer and made it gui.

So which one you people suggest I get? I dont wanna just get stuck in the middle of no where when I instal it.

I'd go xandros, good starting point, and it's really easy.

Is there a particular website I download it from? Also will I my files? ( I can just put them on CD)

Back