• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

something died in here...??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steelballzz

Registered
hi all
i am not a msi user but a friend called for help...so here i am
msi neo 2 k8 nf 3 54g
ocz 2 x 512 gold rev 2
san diego 3700
asus 6800 v 9999 ge (16 pipes soft mod)
antec 480 w

my friend just bought the diego (brand new) and the mobo (2nd hand)
instalation went ok..more or less.....raid issues..solved anyway
but after a change of case.....chieftec big tower to tt armor it wont boot....at all
we tryed clear cmos
1 stick of ram in each slot
starting without mems to see if beeps....but no

no beeps...no nothing
its right now on the table with minimal hardware (mobo,cpu+hs,vga,1 stick of mem
i have no beeps fans spin but i have no post....nothing
could use a little help

thnxs in advance

Just a thought - by "chilled by Zalman" do you mean water cooling - if so, is there a fan connected to the CPUFan header ? I seem to remember that the Neo/Neo2 MB will not startup with no fan. I use CPUFan to monitor my Radiator fan and NBFan to monitor my PSUfan. Good luck !

"chilled by zalman" its on my rig
this is a friends problem
and yes he has a fan conected to the mobo....it was working flawless until 3 hours ago...then he changed case....no go anymore
he is really desperated...he is buying some thermal compund at this moment to test with other hardware that he stiill has at home
we checked cables and power over and over...everything looks in order
i really dont know.... :bang head

the rig in his sig isnt the one he is talking about... he listed the comp with problems in his thread.

Ya I never liked the neo2 (does it still freeze in games or was that fixed?) Have you tried reseating the heatsink... I have had comps look dead when the heatsink looked like it was mounted ok but then I reseat the heatsink and everything works fine.

Maybe try testing the ram in all of the slots of the motherboard... or test all the other parts in another comp one by one

He is using the stand-offs right? I wouldn't worry about cables too much because the thing isnt even posting. Also check if the cmos battery is dead... I have had comps just die for some reason and not boot when the cmos is dead.

its a 15 amp+18 amp 12v line
i guess its a new one
but thnks for the tip
he is testing hardware now
tomorrow i will post some results
any more help would be nice

:bang head :bang head :bang head

Try starting it up with the bare minimum outside of the case (Just in case there is a shorting issue). This is a situation where he may have just overlooked something simple moving the system from one case to another. Good luck.

i really dont know
the mobo wont start with any cpu and the diego wont run on any mobo
new diego.....rma
2nd hand msi....trash can

grumpf
thnxs anyway....the psu issue is still on our"could be" list

Be careful about hooking up that Antec PSU to the new hardware when it comes back from RMA. It's very possible that it could be the reason for damaging both components so suddenly. :)

thnxs
i will tell my friend that
he payed some "hard" €€ for that psu just 1 year ago

grumpf :bang head

see ya

same problem as you...

Bah...i'm pretty much having same problem as you. I took the case off and cleaned everything for dust, put it back together and my comp powers on for like 1 second then dies...i have to turn psu off then turn it back on to get it to do that again...i think my antec 550w killed everything but i'm unsure yet...

specs:

wini 3200
x800 xt pe
80gb sata
audigy 2 zs
antec 550w

steelballzz said:
hi all
i am not a msi user but a friend called for help...so here i am
msi neo 2 k8 nf 3 54g
ocz 2 x 512 gold rev 2
san diego 3700
asus 6800 v 9999 ge (16 pipes soft mod)
antec 480 w

my friend just bought the diego (brand new) and the mobo (2nd hand)
instalation went ok..more or less.....raid issues..solved anyway
but after a change of case.....chieftec big tower to tt armor it wont boot....at all
we tryed clear cmos
1 stick of ram in each slot
starting without mems to see if beeps....but no

no beeps...no nothing
its right now on the table with minimal hardware (mobo,cpu+hs,vga,1 stick of mem
i have no beeps fans spin but i have no post....nothing
could use a little help

thnxs in advance

If you took off the heatsink, you probably cracked the processor core!!! I accidently did that once. Whoops.

sometimes you have to have the processor seated just right in order for it to boot, neo2's do have to have the processor fan (or any fan) hooked up to the CPU power plugs on the mobo.

if you get into bios check your voltage rails.
also there were some issues with the neo2's not booting if the memory timings werent manually set.

i too had a computer that i had to put a anti-static bag between the case and the motherboard to get it to boot.

does anything smell burnt? you can usually tell if psu is going out or if most electrical components got too much voltage by smelling them...

hm hope you figure it out and its something simple!!
-po0ns

after all the san diego is still alive
the mobo is still dead
i really dont know what happened, but the psu could be an answer to this
no smell, sparks or smoke
one local dealer was talking about the 40% off rma that these msi mobos have
what can i say.....grumpf

I almost ruined a K8N Neo2 Platinum by installing it in a case where the previous motherboard took 10 mounting screws and had 10 stand-offs. The Neo2 only had 9 and the extra stand-off was shorting traces on the bottom of the board. Luckily, after removing the extra stand-off, it went back to working fine, but I lost one of the ethernet ports as a result. Not a show stopper since I only used one of the two anyway. A lot of the members here are too self-concious to admit when they do dumb things. Not me. I figure it might help someone else avoid the same mistake. Besides, we're all family...

Hoot

Back