• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot: WinXP Home and WinXP Pro ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchsatx09

Is there a way to run a dual boot system on a single hdd with 2 partitions? I have a C: and a D: partition. WinXP Home is installed on C: and I want to install WinXP Pro on D: so that I can upgrade to Windows X64 to play FarCry64. Is this a possibility?

yes there is if you have proper boot.ini settings for each OS. In fact, the installer should do it all automatically if you install each OS on its own partition.

Yeah will work fine. Install the first OS on its own partition. Then boot up with windows xp pro cd and install it in the remaining hdd space.

it should work but why not just format completly - and install xp 64 ? it can run 32bit apps - just as long as you can get drivers.

Mr.Guvernment said:
it should work but why not just format completly - and install xp 64 ? it can run 32bit apps - just as long as you can get drivers.

That was my reason...not sure if I can get all the drivers. X64 is still a little iffy.

klingens said:
yes there is if you have proper boot.ini settings for each OS. In fact, the installer should do it all automatically if you install each OS on its own partition.

Is boot.ini installed when you have 2 OS's...because my XP Home doesnt have a boot.ini file.

jchsatx09 said:
Is boot.ini installed when you have 2 OS's...because my XP Home doesnt have a boot.ini file.
open 'My computer' goto the tools menu and choose "folder options" click on the 'view' tab and uncheck "hide system files and folders" and also select "shjow hidden files and folders". then browse to C:\ and you will see the Boot.ini file.

pik4chu said:
open 'My computer' goto the tools menu and choose "folder options" click on the 'view' tab and uncheck "hide system files and folders" and also select "shjow hidden files and folders". then browse to C:\ and you will see the Boot.ini file.

This is what I have

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

How should it be with 2 OS's?

jchsatx09 said:
This is what I have

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

How should it be with 2 OS's?

you would see 2 lines of this, only differences should be the partition value, and name of the OS shown in quotation marks.

Back