• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro HOT HOT HOT! (literally)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polojoe12

Registered
I bought a refurb 9800 pro off newegg.com and after playing WOW for a few mins, the picture goes crazy! i dont know why it does that, but the heatsink gets very hot to the touch. So im guessing thats hte problem? Has anyone had any experiences with this problem before? Any solutions before i buy a new heatsink?

polojoe12 said:
I bought a refurb 9800 pro off newegg.com and after playing WOW for a few mins, the picture goes crazy! i dont know why it does that, but the heatsink gets very hot to the touch. So im guessing thats hte problem? Has anyone had any experiences with this problem before? Any solutions before i buy a new heatsink?
Yeah, you need a better heatsink, but do realize that 9800pros run HOT HOT HOT. Idle temps of over 60 C in summer are not unheard of.

Zulu-1 said:
usually heat problems are expressed through artifacts
do you have any pictures of this problem?

Could i email someone the pictures? i dont have a way to upload the pic.

its 1 mb too large... anyway to make it smaller? its a TGA file.

well i got it smaller, but its an invalid type... how to i make it a jpg or something?

NVM, i got it.

Attachments

• a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211648.jpg.jpg
    a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211648.jpg.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 111
  • a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211656.jpg
    a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211656.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 85
  • a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211700.jpg
    a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_211700.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 69
  • a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_213450.jpg
    a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_213450.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 62
  • a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_213552.jpg
    a2j_WoWScrnShot_062405_213552.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Probably GPU overheating. Probably because it's a Sapphire. :argue: Because I have saw a report of the same type of problem with a Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro a while ago. Because apparently, some Sapphire Radeon video cards have POS heatsinks. For all I know, Sapphire may be putting on the same type of heatsinks that the Radeon 9500 Pros use on Radeon 9800 Pros!!! If true, a bad decision!!! :temper:

Last edited:
lilxvietxboi said:
Anyone realize that this is in the nVidia section o_O mods move please!

hey, a mod moved it here, i had it in hte right section...

Rma it through saphirre then. Those also look like memory artifacts to me which will probably not be improved with the addition of a new gpu cooler. Those pics look like texture tearing which is indicative of memory runnign too fast. Conversely gpu artifacts would give a checkerboard appearance. The card is defective and should be covered under warranty, I would contact saphirre if it is to far past neweggs return period. IMO there is no simple solution to fixing this problem so you should just Rma the card.

from the looks of those pics, that's the RAM overheating or erroring for whatever reason. gpu artifacts look like little white random pixels. RMA it.

Ok, where do i rma it? im looking on hte sapphire site and didnt see anything. theres a 2.50 an min tech support though lol....

Back