• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any hope for diodeless NF-7S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoorBasher

Registered
I was changing out my heatsink and CPU recently. I put thermal grease on the in-socket diode and bend it up against the CPU so I can get more accurate temperatures out of it. Since I had the socket empty for some time, I thought it would be a good idea to reapply the grease on the diode.

SNAP.

Off comes the diode. Now what do I do? Either I run the board with no temperature reading whatsoever (will the board even allow this?), or I try and fix it/hook up the on-chip diode. These boards are still going for something like $75 new, which I can't begin to afford. Can't RMA it, I don't even remember who I bought it from. Any way to save this board, bearing in mind that I have only marginally steady hands and absolutely no clue how to solder?

The board *might* run. I really dont think it will though. The whole bending the temp probe up so you can get a higher vcore thing will probably keep the board from working. If there is no temp probe than the board might just give the annoying beeping at any vcore.

Well, I guess I could try soldering the socket diode back in.... If it works, I get my board back, and if it dosen't, well, I wouldn't be much worse off with a truly dead board than a board I just couldn't repair.

Is the socket diode one of those things where if it's installed backwards it gets fried?

That's a good questions but I have no idea as to the answer. Hey look at it this way, If you solder it on backwards the board can't get any Worse can it?

DoorBasher said:
Well, I guess I could try soldering the socket diode back in.... If it works, I get my board back, and if it dosen't, well, I wouldn't be much worse off with a truly dead board than a board I just couldn't repair.

Is the socket diode one of those things where if it's installed backwards it gets fried?
if it's soldered backwards it just won't work. Diodes only let electricity flow in one direction.

find someone with the same board and have them take some pics of teh diode for ya. Then you could know which way it goes on without having to fry anything

shellshock said:
find someone with the same board and have them take some pics of teh diode for ya. Then you could know which way it goes on without having to fry anything
I can probably help you... but any pics I could take would suck due to my camera. I have a dead NF7-m downstairs.

Back