• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluid additives??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass19

Registered
SO i've been out of the loop lately w/ some of the new stuff going around to increase cooling and stuff to make your liquid nonconductive....

what are these exactly and do they work? anyone use them w/ good results still w/ cooling?

FluidXP+

MCT40

MCT5

i got these from dangerden.com

All three of the listed coolants are based on distilled water, so they don't have the mineral content needed to short out components. There's other stuff mixed in to control biological activity, oil your pump and keep a good pH. I've had Fluid XP in my loop for about a week, so I don't have anything to say about it yet except that it's sort of thick. :)

personally i suggest to save your money, spend like $1.00 for a gallon of distilled, swipe some antifreeze from someone you know and then mix them distilled water 90% and antifreeze 10% and also if you have a friend with fish swipe about 15-20 drops of their antialgae stuff. and you'll be set to go.

I am using FluidXP right now. I bought it just to give it a shot and its ok. I just recently added a small amount of Zerex supercoolant because I was seeing little things starting to float around in my loop. After finding those I did a little research and noticed that it doesn't actually say it has anti-algae materials in it. The Danger Den stuff, MCP-5 or something like that does but not XP. Also it has stained my tubing with a white layer of goo but almost anything does that these days. Unless you want it for the non-conduictivity don't bother, its too pricey and I saw no temp differences than using regular distilled and Zerex.

Fluid XP+

Properties:
- Non-Conductive
- Environmentally Safe: Non-toxic
- Biodegradable: All FDA approved food grade ingredients.
- Algae Inhibiting
- Long Lasting: 5+ year shelf life.
- Robust: Not prone to mechanical shearing (Pumping).
- Corrosive inhibiting: Neutral pH (pH of 7) and non-electrolytic.
- Does not cause galvanic corrosion or rusting

I added some biocide anyway, just in case. My understanding is that those little flecks in Fluid XP are designed to melt and act as a membrane in open loops to slow down evaporation. I don't know how usefull this is considering that most of us run closed loops, even those with reservoirs. As far as temps, I remember reading some where that temps go up 1-2c when using it. Perhaps due to the added thickness of the fluid itself? At any rate, I THINK it's possible to tailor viscosity by adding distilled.

If memory serves correctly, I beielve that EVENTUALLY even the "non conductive" fluids will become conductive.

As for addative, I haven't tried badger **** yet, but Zerex works pretty good, and so does good ole anitfreeze.

Back