• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 routers 1 connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barnz0432

Ok first off I have dsl and I have a linksys wrt54g router from the dsl connection. we have 3 systems connected to that router and another router connected to that router to extend out our wireless range and also get wired internet to other areas of the house.

right now the second router is wired like a switch. I would like it to work as a router also and so I can have a greater wireless range.

what needs to be done to accompish this.

Both routers are the same make and model.

any help would be great

thanks

do you want an extra wireless access point or do you want another router? Im confused on why you want two routers on the same network for 3 systems.

No, I have more like my xbox, ps2, 5 systems and then when I have customers I will need more network plugins.

No what? What exactly do you want. More cable connections or better wireless coverage?

To increase range you want it to work as a wireless extender.

To increase Network connections you want it as a switch.

From what I understand you want to extend your range in which case 3rd party software setting up WDS is what you want.

do you have it connected via a cat5 cable? or do you want it to connect and repeat a wireless.

if you have it wired, i would change the IP of the second one (so you can still config both of them) and maybe its IP ranges. change its channel it uses (id go with channels 2 and 10 for the 2 routers) and maybe SSIDs and WEP keys. then plug the connection into the WAN port of router number 2 to one of the ports on router number one.

If you're trying to go off of wireless to the second router... and have it also act as an access point.. as far as i know youll need another device, a wireless bridge to connect to wireless and go to ethernet. youd hook this to the WAN port of the second router, configured as mentioned above. for the bridge you might wanna look at the linksys WET-11 or something else if you want the G between the 2 routers.

another alternative for an access point with some nice power (power helps on the range :) ) is ths tihng. ive never tried one but it seems like it would be ok. especially if you coupled it with a higher gain omni or even sector antenna. some countries have regulations on power / total gain outputs of wireless systems tho, s thats sometihng to keep in mind. http://www.buy.com/prod/Hawking_Adj...er_w_Access_Point_802/q/loc/101/10398155.html

that company also makes just amps, look on newegg for the hawking hsb2. you'd need some adapter pigtails to be able to connect it ot the linksys tho, check somewhere like http://www.hyperlinktech.com they should be able to get ya set up nice.

although all these goodies would add p to a pretty penny.

four4875 said:
do you have it connected via a cat5 cable? or do you want it to connect and repeat a wireless.

if you have it wired, i would change the IP of the second one (so you can still config both of them) and maybe its IP ranges. change its channel it uses (id go with channels 2 and 10 for the 2 routers) and maybe SSIDs and WEP keys. then plug the connection into the WAN port of router number 2 to one of the ports on router number one.

Actually you would not use the Wan port on the second router. To get it to act as an AP you just change the IP the router uses for the web config (so you can config both routers) hook it up regular port to regular port, and turn off DHCP server in the second router.

four4875 said:
If you're trying to go off of wireless to the second router... and have it also act as an access point.. as far as i know youll need another device, a wireless bridge to connect to wireless and go to ethernet. youd hook this to the WAN port of the second router, configured as mentioned above. for the bridge you might wanna look at the linksys WET-11 or something else if you want the G between the 2 routers.

You could use a bridge but 3rd party firmware and WDS can be used to make it like a repeater or you could use the 3rd party firmware to actually make it a bridge.

A wireless bridge is just like it sounds like it gets connection over wireless and allows you to connect wires to the bridge without being able to connect wirelessly to the second router.

four4875 said:
another alternative for an access point with some nice power (power helps on the range :) ) is ths tihng. ive never tried one but it seems like it would be ok. especially if you coupled it with a higher gain omni or even sector antenna. some countries have regulations on power / total gain outputs of wireless systems tho, s thats sometihng to keep in mind. http://www.buy.com/prod/Hawking_Adj...er_w_Access_Point_802/q/loc/101/10398155.html

that company also makes just amps, look on newegg for the hawking hsb2. you'd need some adapter pigtails to be able to connect it ot the linksys tho, check somewhere like http://www.hyperlinktech.com they should be able to get ya set up nice.

although all these goodies would add p to a pretty penny.

Don't need this stuff when he can use a router as an AP or use the router to extend his range with WDS.

Last edited:
Back