• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dumb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cripy

Disabled
im an i.t. mgr but im terrible with storage servers. so I feel like a dumb ****, can I do this in windows?

I have 4 hdd's a 160 and 3 80gig's I want to partition 1 for the windows install then i want all remaining space to show up as 1 drive is there a way of doing this without making a raid?

You can mount the other hard drives as folders on an existing drive.

First of all, connect only the drive in which you want to install Windows on. Install Windows and then connect the remaining three drives.

Now, Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Go to "Disk Management" on the left pane of the window. If prompted, do not make dynamic disks, but do format and create partitions on them. You should now see all your disks. Right click on an unused disks and select "Change drive letters and paths". From there, select "Add", and then select "Mount in an empty NTFS Folder". Specify the path you want it (like C:\Data) and then you'll be all ready to go!

The only limitation with that is each drive must be mounted in a seperate folder, IIRC.

Hope that helps! :)

:welcome: to the forums, BTW! Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Back