• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Cooling Combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

werdz

Thxs to batboy for recommending me the xp-90c well a better heatsink not exactly the xp-90c heatsink to replace my stock cooling which iam hitting 3.8 without a sweat on my 530J :santa: on my first post on this forum, now time to realize it. I just bought this from newegg and was wondering how hard is it to install etc :cool:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999613

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109122

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835999351

:clap:

:welcome: to the forums

It is not hard at all to install. Put your 775 Adapter on first. Then Put a little thermal paste on the CPU and attach your XP-90C.

I wish you would have posted here before you purchased we could have recommended you a few places to buy your parts from for much cheaper as well as recommend a better fan.

Sidewinder Computers

Heatsink Factory

to name a few. We could have saved you $17 bucks on just the HS.

Just something to remember for the future.

As far as the HS is concerned, you made an excellent choice!

Ahh Iam crying right now, you are right, I sshould have asked u guys :argue: :bang head :shrug: I got that fan cause of the CFM on it, Is it good or bad? I think its a Vantec Tornado ? So thats why I bought it. :shrug:

As far as performance goes, the fan is great. However, given it's performance, it has a louder whine to it than similar performing deltas and sanyos. The other brands also go down to lower voltages I believe. Oh, and don't worry about the price difference for the heatsink, it happens. If you thought it was a good deal for $66 then you should still be happy paying that price, and you got the best performing heatsink on the market. You'll be more prepared for next time too. Let us know when everything comes and how it turns out. If this is new for you, make sure you read the directions for applying whatever thermal paste you are gonna use. What kind do you have?

I got some Artic Silver 5 that I bought a couple of months ago when I built this machine, but didnt use it since I was scared I was going to mess it up, so I have to clean that thermal paste from my cpu off with some alcohol they told me...

werdz said:
I got some Artic Silver 5 that I bought a couple of months ago when I built this machine, but didnt use it since I was scared I was going to mess it up, so I have to clean that thermal paste from my cpu off with some alcohol they told me...

You'll get the hang of it eventually, practice makes perfect. Just make sure not to put too much on. There is a great tutorial on the arctic silver site which you've probably seen already. Let us know how it goes!

> 90% Iso Alcohol should do the trick.

Okie dokie thxs for the help, now gotta wait til thursday for parts to arrive :cool:

One last question, anybody know of a good guide to remove that sticky dumb intel thermal paste off the cpu? Also anybody that has installed this heatsink on the abit AS8 mobo any special procedures for this mobo? Like any hints. Thxs :)

werdz said:
One last question, anybody know of a good guide to remove that sticky dumb intel thermal paste off the cpu? Also anybody that has installed this heatsink on the abit AS8 mobo any special procedures for this mobo? Like any hints. Thxs :)

Removing the Goo can be done with a razor blade and some elbow grease with som alcohol. or a drop or two or Goo gone or lighter fluid on a paper towel and comes right off. after you are finished be sure to wipe it down good with alcohol to remove any residue.

I installed this HS on an AA8XE the only hint I can offer really is an extra set of hands to hold the motherboard upright on edge to make it easy for you to get to both side to line up the holes when installing the retention bracket. It just makes it much easier.

Ok guys I got all the parts today here a shot. Inst she a beautyyyyy?? BTW That fan IS REALLY LOUD LOL OMG I NEED A FAN CONTROLLER SOON LOL, Installing it soon just need some alcohol which my mother is getting for me right now from walgreens :santa: Wish me luck! hehe. One last question before I go off to install this baby, will the thermal paste the intel stock hsf be all over the place? Iam scared am mess up something lol :shrug: :p

Attachments

• xp90.jpg
    xp90.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 43
The old paste will be hard and it will take a little time to fully remove. Make sure you get it all off. As was pointed out, check out the install guide on AS5's website. This isn't rocket science. You will be fine. Just take your time. Good luck, and have fun.

Back