• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 vs IC7 power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The general opinion is the IC7 has better power circuity. Although, with good case ventilation and with the mosfets sinked, I've seen decent Prescott overclocks on the IS7 too (as long as you don't get crazy with vcore).

Thanks.
IS7 is cheap, just looking for a replacement (after mods, low risk if I screw it up).
The EE costs to much and is wasted on the AI7, with some voltage the PWM temp gets insane, over 3.6 GHz is just not stable, even though it will post at 3.95 GHz. I suppect the PWM is the main problem.
Im going to sell the EE, in its place, a good clocking northwood.

Is it safe to say then, IS7 greater than AI7 power circuity?

Probably not a lot of difference. I will say this much, I tried running a Prescott on my AI7 once and like you, I was very disappointed. So, maybe the IS7 is a tad better. I know you are trying to stay low budget, but if you want a decent O/C, but maybe you should spend a little more and get the IC7?

I don't know that the IS7 is as good as the IC7, but its PWM circuitry is stouter than the AI7's. My AI7s are loaded as heavily as I dare with a Northwood at 3.75GHz and 1.7V. 3.6GHz and 1.65V is a lot safer. IS7s are known to handle heavier loads better, but I can't say it's precisely as good as the IC7.

Great info, thanks peoples.
Unfortunatly the 865/875 good board are drying up in my country and only few places have the boards in stock (from their supplier). All the other boards are really rubbish chipsets or totally stripped down.

Cheapest IC7-G is 245.07 USD
And P4C800 is 315.09 USD
Not worth it.

I think the best bet is to, get some money back from the EE (sell it). The AI7 cannot take it anywhere. Replace a standard northwood back in the AI7.
If I decided to keep the EE, have been offered a modded IS7 for cheap, that would likely drive the EE to a higher stable overclock.
The much cheaper priced IS7 (found 2 secondhand boards, one 50usd and 100usd) maybe better once modded to drive a northwood to a good overclock (purchased a good clocking 2.8C that will do 3.7 @ 1.6v from enougher forums member here, just waiting for it to arrive).

ok so far for the power circuity:

IC7 is greating than the IS7

IS7 is great than the AI7

I have a IS7 as well,, but i havent seen to much vcore fluctuation yet, but then again my northwood is only overclocked from 2.66 to 3ghz currently.

I am running 1ghz front buss on my IS7 (3.0 P4 prescott @ 3.75), I have sinked all of my mosfets , big and small. I also have a fan blowing over the heat sinks, and another fan blowing over the back of the motherboard where the mosfets sit. At 1.53v core I never get above 45c on my power mosfets, cpu is water cooled and stays below 48c.
I found the mosfets nearing 70c at only 1.45vcore before I sinked and fanned them.

I'll tell you what...

Sinking those mosfets with OCZ copper ram sinks is the ticket. I have done that on my IC7-G and saw a 10C drop. It's amazing how much it helps. I would do this on any board, but especially with a Prescott.

BTW, you may want to try a refurb board if you are limited on funds right now and get the IC7-G. I really like that board. The only thing I wish it had was higher vDimm voltages that would track without modifying.

These IC7-G's are just outstanding though. I can't say enough good things about them. I can see where I need some mods on mine, but that is no fault of the board, it's because I am pushing it so far. With mods this thing can go to 4.2 on air, and can go higher on water or phase.

It never ceases to amaze me what this thing can do. I just posted a Top Ten OC3D Team Score today with the very rig in my sig. It makes it easy. I've only been doing this just a few months now, and it sure makes it nice when a quality board let's you succeed.

I can't wait to see what they come out with with the NV chipset on a new Dothan board. I bet it's gonna set records.

Back