• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me a power supply please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Currently running a pretty old Antec 420 Watt PSU and it is slowly dying. So I need recommendations on a new one. Heres the specs of the rig.
Athlon XP T-Bred B DLT3C 1800+ @ 2500Mhz
Asus A7N8X Rev 2
1024 BH-5
PNY 6800NU
CD Burner
92MM Tornado on Rheo

I really don't care if the power supply looks pretty. (Sleeved wires and led fans) I just want something that will work and hold up nicely. Thanks.

There are four supplies I would recommend for this rig:

On the cheap end you could well get by with a Fortron/Sparkle FSP350-60PN. Your board derives Vcore from the 5V rail and therefore won't exceed this unit's 18A 12V output and enjoy the 220W 3.3+5V output.

If you want to go for something that will hold up when you move to a board that derives Vcore from the 12V line, you could get the AX500-A Fortron. Even though its 150W 3.3+5V rating is not impressive, it has proven capable of driving 5V loads like your machine has.

Even stouter (and cheaper than the AX500-A) is the 460W EPS Sparkle. This is a 16.5/15A dual 12V unit with a 200W 3.3+5V rating. Directron has them for $69.99, a whale of a deal.

If you want a serious horse, get the Sparkle FSP550-60PLG. 36A of 12V goodness, but certainly overkill for your current 12V consumption level. It will have the longest effective lifespan though, and doesn't bring a ridiculous level of cost in the exchange.

Bear in mind that the last two units have 80mm fans, and as such can't move as much air at a given noise level than the first two. But either is hard to stress, so you don't have to move as much air. You will want to replace the aggressive stock 80mm fans with something quieter though, in the 25-30cfm range. There are no warranty stickers to break in doing so on a Fortron.

Hmm thanks a lot to both of you for the reccomendations. It's either the Super-Flower 350W PS or the Fortron/Sparkle FSP350-60PN. Which one would be better? I know that the Forton is ten dollars more, but is it worth it? I've never personally heard of Super-Flower but I have heard a lot of good things about Fortron. Thanks.

I don't think the Fortron is worth $10 more. Both make great PSU's, but the Super-Flower I suggested is cheaper and is rated at +12v@22A and +5v@33A. So I think the one I suggested is a much better choice.

BrutalDrew said:
I don't think the Fortron is worth $10 more. Both make great PSU's, but the Super-Flower I suggested is cheaper and is rated at +12v@22A and +5v@33A. So I think the one I suggested is a much better choice.

Alright. I have decided to go with the Super-Flower. Thanks for you'r help. :cool:

The fortron is worth $10 more, and that is the reason the superflower (which is also decent) is not present in my recommendation.

larva said:
The fortron is worth $10 more, and that is the reason the superflower (which is also decent) is not present in my recommendation.

Why exactly do you think the Fortron is worth $10 more? I completely disagree.

Based on the fact that I own a FSP350-60PN, and therefore know exactly what it is capable of (and is not). I have also used enough TTGI supplies to know that an 18A Fortron rating is roughly equivalent to a 22A TTGI one. Nobody gives you more for the money than Fortron does, a supply costing 75% as much will give you (at most) 75% the function.

BrutalDrew said:

Doesn't matter - the A7N8X is a 5v oriented board, and this is where most of the power will be needed. I second the Fortron.

I have also used enough TTGI supplies to know that an 18A Fortron rating is roughly equivalent to a 22A TTGI one.

That still does not make the Fortron worth $10 more. If they are equivalent as you say then it would be better to save $10 and buy the Super-Flower.

Doesn't matter - the A7N8X is a 5v oriented board, and this is where most of the power will be needed. I second the Fortron.

I know this and I still do not think the Fortron is a better choice. For a low-end PSU I would rather spend as less as possible while still getting a quality PS. The Super-Flower is a quality PSU that would handle his system fine and is cheaper then the Fortron.

BrutalDrew said:
That still does not make the Fortron worth $10 more. If they are equivalent as you say then it would be better to save $10 and buy the Super-Flower..
I said the rating was equivalent, not the supply. Really, there are other factors besides which is cheaper, and if making recommendations is your thing, you need to be well versed in them. People can figure out which price is lower and which spec is higher, the whole point is specs don't mean much, if anything.

BrutalDrew said:
TTGI PSU's are very good quality.
They are competent, but that's of course secondary to really large numbers on the side ;)

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Bon3thugz, but I see no point in creating another thread asking the same question. So I'll ask it here. :) I am also looking for a PSU to go with the new system I'm building. Here are the specs:

Athlon64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
1GB (2x 515MB) Kingston PC3200
eVGA 6600GT
80GB WD Caviar 7200

Right now, I've got a 480W Antec TruePowerII on my wishlist at Newegg, but if there's something cheaper that will do the job, I'd be more than happy to switch. I plan on either getting another 6600GT for SLI or upgrading to a 6800GT (or possibly X800XL, I'm undecided) around Christmas time. I may get another HD, and I may upgrade my RAM. I'd really rather not have to buy a new PSU, so please keep that in mind when suggesting a PSU. :D

Thanks in advance,
Seeko

If I get another 6600GT, yes. If I get the 6800GT, I may still use SLI in the distant future, but probably not anytime soon.

Back