• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget 5-600$ comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illskills719

Hey I was wondering what i should get for a budget 500-600$ comp
basically I saw another build here on the site and liked it so im going to use most of the parts for that (Thnks)

MSI RS480M2-IL - $86
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice - $150
PQI Turbo (2*512) 1 gig - 90$ + (-20 rebate) - 70$
NVIDIA Geforce 6600 - $115 <--Will be replacing with a 6200 and take the 6600 for myself)
Just confused bout the Case and the power supply..trying to keep it low
BTW should i even go with a athlon 64 processor or go with a semperon? The new 64 bit windows will come out soon so...thats always a factor so someone with any ideas yet?
Comp will NOT be overclocking.. Just need it for a 12 yr old daughter who probably will use AIM, chat all day, and play small internet explorer games...and a son who is 8 yrs old who will probably do that same..and my aunt who will probably use it for emails...

Well, dont go too cheap on the PSU.

Have you thought about a shuttle?

Anyway, THIS is a fairly inexpensive ATX case that would work good for that.

Also, about the video card, why not just use onboard if there is no nead for graphic power?

I was thinking maybe going with this semperonhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104229 and then what board goes good with that

You could buy the 512MB sticks seperately and it will cost you $66. I know it does not save a lot, but I am just trying to point out that you do not need to buy a dual channel pack to run dual channel. Dual channel kits are just a marketing thing and ussually if you buy the sticks serperately it is cheaper. I would go this way since it is $66 without a rebate.

Personally I would just get a Sempron system with 512MB of RAM. It would be fine for your childrens needs. Get a good mobo with onboard video too.

Superjed said:
Well, dont go too cheap on the PSU.

Have you thought about a shuttle?

Anyway, THIS is a fairly inexpensive ATX case that would work good for that.

Also, about the video card, why not just use onboard if there is no nead for graphic power?

Well i wanna replace my 6200 with a 6600 and basically i just dont wanna throw out my 6200...i can imagine ina few years the son will probably be playing games anyway...so having that vid card in wont make a difference.....O yea is the 380W PSU supplied int he Case you showed me good enough for a 6200?

BrutalDrew said:
You could buy the 512MB sticks seperately and it will cost you $66. I know it does not save a lot, but I am just trying to point out that you do not need to buy a dual channel pack to run dual channel. Dual channel kits are just a marketing thing and ussually if you buy the sticks serperately it is cheaper. I would go this way since it is $66 without a rebate.

Personally I would just get a Sempron system with 512MB of RAM. It would be fine for your childrens needs. Get a good mobo with onboard video too.

lol its not for my kids im only 17 Lol..its for my aunt and her family :p

Really, I would go with a A64 Venice or Whinnie. For a little more you get better performance IMO. Also, because you are not OC'ing it, pretty much any board will be ok. Just stay away from the really cheap brands.

EDIT: yea, the 380w would be fine for the 6200.

Yea, what drew piced out should be ok, I keep forgetting that this is a non-gaming machine.

Superjed said:
Yea, what drew piced out should be ok, I keep forgetting that this is a non-gaming machine.

Ya. For a non-gaming rig a A64 is overkill IMO. Especially just for browsing the web and using AIM.

For that low of a budget you are nearing the place where a prebuilt from Dell, etc. can be more cost effective than building your own. Still your decision, and if you are building an A64 you will get better performance anyway.

Scott9027 said:
For that low of a budget you are nearing the place where a prebuilt from Dell, etc. can be more cost effective than building your own. Still your decision, and if you are building an A64 you will get better performance anyway.

If he needs stuff such as a OS and other things then yes I would agree a Dell would be better. If all he needs is a CPU, mobo, RAM, case and PSU it would be best to buy those parts and build it.

I dont need an OS ..I do need a HDD, optical drive, speakers, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and floppy
She already has all the programs ill just reinstall them..

whats wrong with the MSI RS480M2-IL board... i thought it was pretty good..and i might get something higher than a semperon 2600 only cause i wanna satisfy her and show her its not a POS

I dont need an OS ..I do need a HDD, optical drive, speakers, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and floppy
She already has all the programs ill just reinstall them..

Then this would be good.

Epox EP-8HMMI-A - $64.99
AMD Sempron 2600+ - $72
PQI 512MB PC3200 - $33.85
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB - $60
LITE-ON SOHC-5236K - $34
In-Win Z720T - $44.99
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers - $35
SAMSUNG 793DF 17" CRT - $124
Microsoft Optical mouse - $9.90
Microsoft Generic Keyboard - $6.99
Mitsumi Floppy - $5.90
Total ~ $500

If you need a DVD burner get the NEC ND-3520A. Also if you don't like the case In-Win makes other good ones. I would of chose the black version of that case, but it is out of stock. You could also switch the CRT ro a 15" LCD if you want to.

it may also be a good idea to buy a black case if you buy a black optical or floppy drive. Go to make sure everything matches :D

whats wrong with the MSI RS480M2-IL board... i thought it was pretty good..and i might get something higher than a semperon 2600 only cause i wanna satisfy her and show her its not a POS

The MSi board is socket 939 which is overkill for a rig that will be used to browse the web and use AIM. The same with PCI-E.

Hey drew thanks for that build, but is there another mobo thats nice with a pci-e available?

What do you need PCI-E for? It is a PC for browsing the web, sending email and using AIM. You do not need PCI-E let alone anything other then onboard video.

Back