• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think is wrong with this mobo? (ga-7dpxdw)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

so, im mplaying with my old x86 parts. LINUX/BSD ONLY!

My brother bought a gigabyte Ga-7dpxdw off of ebay. It was NIB. Ok well after installing windows, it ran for about 18 hours. then, it didnt. itd crash, BSOD with whatever it wanted. we switched every damn part except mobo and CPUs.

got to the point where we couldnt read the BSODs, they wer in white blocks. Then, itd pull this crap where a red line would appear at the top and it was frozen.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the heck it was? and why linux isnt affected by it?

Look to see if Linux is using both CPU..

And what chips are in board ? What cards ? what PSU ect ect

well, weve swapped everything. 480watt, 530watt, and 650watt PSUs . THe chips wer 2x 1.7ghz and 2x1.4ghz. crucial ram, kingston, etc... used a matrox pci card, a sis xabre agp, nvidia agp 5700 and GeForce 4.

Linux i ALWAYS install the SMP kernel. is there a way i can see the useage?

in the room im testing in, no. if it was in my bros room id say f it.

My bros room we just ran an extension cord lol. Im in the basement, and we've got some other PCs on the line.

we have 2 of the identical motherboard. one freezes, one doesnt. i cant try mine, because i broke the HS tabs in the middle so i gotta rig something up.

Flash the bios..Crucial and some kingston may have an issue with that board..i sold ram to a person with a dual AMD and they could not run it till the installed latest bios..

ive found with the latest bios, i get crashes more frequently.

So i installed fedora core 1, it crashed on the second disk. found out, CD 2 was unreadable, ok dodged that bullet. Loaded unbuntu. i hate that OS but its all i had around. after about an hour in, it would take literally 30 seconds for every program to even open. and the shut down went REALLY funky. So im not sure if its ubuntus stupidity or what. gonna try suse or YOS shortly

MPs. I just gave up on the boards months ago because i NEEDED something thatd work, i had projects due, and i got the mac.

Now that its peace time for a few weeks, i got time to tinker til my next project. itd be nice to have the extra horsepower for these giant renders ahead of me

Back