• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck on my Newcastle 3000+ overclock...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

douglasb

I've got a 3000+ s754 Newcastle, and a Chaintech VNF3-250 board with the latest BIOS (v5, 3/21/05) flashed. Here's the thing, though: if I change "Hammer Fid" in BIOS (which, as I understand it, is the multiplier), then it won't boot at anything other than "Auto" or the stock setting of 10. If I try to lower my multiplier, the system won't even POST, even if I change no other settings. Does this mean that only Clawhammer cores can change multiplier? Is this specific to the Chaintech board, or universal? The main problem is that I'm running TCCD, and I'd like to be able to run memory clock higher than HTT, since it has quite a ways to go. As far as I can tell, there is no way to run the memory clock at what I want it directly, but I have to use a divider. In my BIOS, it has "Max Memclock" options of "Auto", 100, 133, and 166. As far as i can tell, Auto is a 1:1 ratio, and all the other ratios are based on a 200 MHz HTT, i.e., if HTT is set to 240 and Max Memclock is set to 166, actual memory clock is 200 MHz. Obviously this does me no good since I can't go any higher than a 1:1 ratio, and I want the memory clock to be higher than HTT, not the other way around. If I could change multipliers, it would be very simple, but it doesn't appear I can do that. Obviously if my multiplier is stuck at 10, I don't want to run my RAM/HTT at 270 or whatever, because then I've got a chip running 2.7 GHz on the stock cooler, and my RAM still isn't maxed out. This is super-lame, in my opinion, if there's no way to change this. Is this typical of Newcastle cores, or am I doing something wrong here? TIA to anyone who can shed some light on this.

i know my nc 3000+ will run at lower multipliers but i do of course have a different board, possibly a bios update could help you?

Apparently it's a board issue. I have the latest BIOS revision, by the way. Apparently, in their infinite wisdom, Chaintech made the board unable to cold boot from a multiplier change in BIOS. I have to hit reset after I change multiplier, after that, everything works fine until I change it again, at which point I have to reset again. This is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Back