• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Hello All,

1st time I've post here I think. :rolleyes: :shrug:

I'm currently using a 10/100 NIC Netgear NIC card.

Have 1.5mb dsl service. Use TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net

& I was wondering if upgrading to a better NIC card would be worth the cost?

You know, one of those 1000xx/x cards for $150.oo.

I'm happy with my speed now 745UL & 1.234 DL.

Just thought I would inquior about it.

:cool:

I have 4mbps cable, with a gigabit Integrated NIC on the mobo, and my moms 10/100, there was little increase in speed, nothing worth spending 150$

Shjebus !

"little" increase.

:(

How does it "feel" compared to the 10/100 set up?

smoother? not as choppy?

better for gaming maybe? (not 4 $150 tho) (new vid card :D )

I really haven't seen anything on the different NIC cards, prolly not worth it.

Think about what your saying. With only a 1.5mb connection, your not even close to using the full bandwidth of a 10mb card, let alone a gigabit nic.

The only time it would be worth it is if you buy a gigabit switch and are transferring big files across the network a lot.

correct as the link to your actual internet connection is probably only 10mb which is enough to fill your 1.5mb bandwidth. and if you have a router thats probably 100mb the 1000mb card would set itself to 100mb mode because it couldnt at its highest pace. upgrading would need to upgrade everything behind the modem which would only improve lan performance.

Back